ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR from Tier 2 - Unpaid Absences?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aragon1

ILR from Tier 2 - Unpaid Absences?

Post by Aragon1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently on a Tier 2 (General) visa and will be able to apply for ILR in May. However, going through various threads in this forum, it looks like I might have some unpaid absences. :(

My employer allows 'purchasing' additional annual leaves from our HR portal. In 2014, I used this option and 'bought' 10 leaves in addition to the contractual 25 days (making the total 35). The cost was then clawed back in 12 instalments from my paycheck. The additional leave was used for arranging our wedding abroad and made the total days outside the UK in that 12-month block to 40 (when including weekends etc.).

I was wondering what are the implications of this on my ILR eligibility. Did I break the continuous stay requirement? Would providing the absence details/employer letter convince the case worker?

I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Many thanks,
A

Aragon1

Re: ILR from Tier 2 - Unpaid Absences?

Post by Aragon1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Apologies for the bump but can anyone help?

Akorotaeva

Post by Akorotaeva » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Should be fine as you're allowed up to 4 weeks of unpaid leave per year.

Do get a letter confirming the "leave buy" scheme from your employer to be safe.

Aragon1

Post by Aragon1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks Akorotaeva.

I didn't know there was a 4 week non-paid leave allowance; I'll definitely look in to that. Do you happen to know if it's mentioned in any of the ILR policy documents?

Akorotaeva

Post by Akorotaeva » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm

"323AA Prohibited changes to employment for Tier 2 Migrants and Tier 5 Migrants
The following are prohibited changes, unless a further application for leave to remain is granted which expressly permits the changes:
(a) The migrant is absent from work without pay for four weeks or more in total, according to his/her normal working pattern (whether over a single period or more than one period), during any calendar year (1 January to 31 December)"