ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Nationality after PR card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jawid
Newly Registered

Applying for British Nationality after PR card

Post by Jawid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi,

I have applied for PR card as eu family member two weeks ago and my application is on process. according to GOV.UK website "You can only use your permanent residence document to apply for British citizenship after you’ve lived in the UK for 6 years. That means you must wait another 12 months if you’ve only lived in the UK for 5 years when you get your document.
But you can apply immediately if: you’ve already lived in the UK for 6 years when you get your document"

I have been living in UK since 2007 as EU Family Member (my wife is Swedish National).We applied for PR in 2013 refused by home office because my wife did not work continuously so immediately she start work again then I applied for another resident card. So my question is when I get PR card do I have to wait another 12 month to get British Citizen ship or I can apply straight forward after getting my PR card?

Thanks,
Jawed

wingpin
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Applying for British Nationality after PR card

Post by wingpin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 pm

It depends on the day that your wife started exercising her treaty rights in the UK. So say her job commenced in Feb 1, 2013, then around Feb 1, 2018 you would gain PR status upon a successful application for it. It is backdated, so in Feb 1, 2019 you should be able to naturalise.

For example, my EEA partner and I applied for PR in Nov 2017 and he received his in Feb 2018. It is backdated to say his PR started in November as in, he doesn't have to wait until Feb 2019 but could apply for citizenship in Nov this year.

Jawid
Newly Registered

Post by Jawid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for reply, have you lived in UK more than five years?

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am

When you get your approval letter at the end of the process (NOT the Certificate of Application, but the letter that tells you your PR is approved), it will specify the date the Home Office deems that you acquired PR.

If, on the day you get your PR card in the post, the date in the letter was more than one year ago then you can apply immediately. If that date was less than one year before, then you just have to wait till the first anniversary of that date. But at least there's no guesswork anymore about what the date is.

Jawid
Newly Registered

Post by Jawid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks,

A2ROR
Bulgaria

Post by A2ROR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 am

Jawid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm
Hi,

I have applied for PR card as eu family member two weeks ago and my application is on process. according to GOV.UK website "You can only use your permanent residence document to apply for British citizenship after you’ve lived in the UK for 6 years. That means you must wait another 12 months if you’ve only lived in the UK for 5 years when you get your document.
But you can apply immediately if: you’ve already lived in the UK for 6 years when you get your document"

I have been living in UK since 2007 as EU Family Member (my wife is Swedish National).We applied for PR in 2013 refused by home office because my wife did not work continuously so immediately she start work again then I applied for another resident card. So my question is when I get PR card do I have to wait another 12 month to get British Citizen ship or I can apply straight forward after getting my PR card?

Thanks,
Jawed

Hi jawed

Have you done life in uk test ?

Jawid
Newly Registered

Post by Jawid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 pm

No I haven't not required.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 am

Jawid wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 pm
Required for citizenship application as well as needing to meet the English requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

A2ROR
Bulgaria

Post by A2ROR » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am

Jawid wrote:
Is this because you was EEA spouse or any other way of examption plz don’t mind plz share if you don’t mind

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 pm

A2ROR wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am
Jawid wrote:
Is this because you was EEA spouse or any other way of examption plz don’t mind plz share if you don’t mind

Thanks in advance
For PR under the EEA/EU rules, LIUK is NOT required. This does not exempt EEA/EU route PR holders from it for Citizenship unless under 18 or over 65 or medically exempt (with evidence).

LIUK and English test is mandatory for citizenship, regardless of which route to ILR/PR was taken.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

A2ROR
Bulgaria

Post by A2ROR » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 pm
A2ROR wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am
Jawid wrote:

Thanks in advance
For PR under the EEA/EU rules, LIUK is NOT required. This does not exempt EEA/EU route PR holders from it for Citizenship unless under 18 or over 65 or medically exempt (with evidence).

LIUK and English test is mandatory for citizenship, regardless of which route to ILR/PR was taken.
Thank you CR001 for quick reply.
LIUK test seems bit hard that’s why I was looking for some way to get rid from this :p

Jawid
Newly Registered

Post by Jawid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Not required if you applying as EU or EU family member to get PR Card, but for the citizenship required.