ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from HSMP dependant to work permit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

venusvixem
Newly Registered

Switching from HSMP dependant to work permit

Post by venusvixem » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:05 pm

I am on HSMP dependant visa and my employer offered to get me work permit valid for 5 years. The lawyer said that this would mean that my countdown in UK will start again and the 2 years I have already spent won't be counted if I have to apply for leave to remain or citizenship. Is this true?

Is switching to work permit a good option?

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Yes, it is true. Think twice before switching form HSMP to WP.
WP to HSMP is OK.
Rules are changing every fortnight. Who knows HO might change ILR (PR) rule again.

If you have choice simply say NO and continue on HSMP.

If it becomes impossible that you wont qualify for HSMP then it would make sense.

venusvixem
Newly Registered

Post by venusvixem » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:09 am

From which website I can read all these rules?

www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk does not have all the information, specially for HSMP dependants.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Moved from job section to UK general immigration (which covers work permits).

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:44 pm

netacct wrote:Yes, it is true. Think twice before switching form HSMP to WP.
WP to HSMP is OK.
Rules are changing every fortnight. Who knows HO might change ILR (PR) rule again.

If you have choice simply say NO and continue on HSMP.

If it becomes impossible that you wont qualify for HSMP then it would make sense.
It doesn't make any difference to the OP as he is current on a dependant visa and time spent under the dependant visa will NOT be counted when applying for ILR on his / her own after 5yrs of Legal stay...

netacct

Post by netacct » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 pm

Sorry, I was wrong.
For dependent visa it should not make any difference.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:16 pm

olisun wrote:It doesn't make any difference to the OP as he is current on a dependant visa and time spent under the dependant visa will NOT be counted when applying for ILR on his / her own after 5yrs of Legal stay...
However, it will make a difference when the main HSMP holder applies for ILR. Dependants may be included, but non-dependants may not (194-199).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

venusvixem
Newly Registered

Post by venusvixem » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:48 am

Vinny you are right .

I have checked with a very good lawyer and she has confirmed that both dependant and HSMP holder can apply for ILR at the same time and clock is ticking for both of them. They should acoid switching the type of Visa they hold.

ismangil

Re: Switching from HSMP dependant to work permit

Post by ismangil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:02 pm

venusvixem wrote:I am on HSMP dependant visa and my employer offered to get me work permit valid for 5 years. The lawyer said that this would mean that my countdown in UK will start again and the 2 years I have already spent won't be counted if I have to apply for leave to remain or citizenship. Is this true?

Is switching to work permit a good option?
The only reason a dependant would switch to a work permit or HSMP in his/her own right is if it is feared that the main HSMP/Work permit holder will not be able to have an extension before 5 years period.

However in the new Tier 1 PBS even this way is not allowed now, as dependants are not allowed to switch!
Perry Ismangil

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 pm

What if dependent live UK for a short time and applies from outside UK?