ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

transfer of status on a new passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eso
Newly Registered

transfer of status on a new passport

Post by eso » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:34 pm

i have been awarded a 5 years visa in january 2008 .my wife is an EU citizen
i applied using my long expired passport .i have been issued a paper by the home office with my immigration status

i need to travel to switzerland next monday ( funeral ) .and need to endorse my new passport with the status urgently
this news came by surprise over the easter weekend
i am told that you can no longer queu at the HO .i have been trying to call but the telephone system dont seem to work
can someone tell me if there is a way out of this please
thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:54 am

What visa did you get? Was it an EEA family permit?

As long as you show your old (with valid leave to remain) and new passports, you won't have any problem coming back into the country.

eso
Newly Registered

Post by eso » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:43 am

hi
yes i have an eea family permit .however

old passport is 15 years old with leave expired in 1993 .
i understand that its not a problem to come back to the uk ,but a major burden entering one .
no schengen visa will be issued with this kind of setup ,although switzerland dont impose a visa on me .the consulate told me that only official stamps or stickers will be acknowledged at port of entry ,paper may be at the discretion of officer on duty
do you think i could go to the HO and ask them to stamp it ,as this is an emergency
i called workpermit.com but they say that they cant help
regards

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am

eso wrote:no schengen visa will be issued with this kind of setup ,although switzerland dont impose a visa on me .the consulate told me that only official stamps or stickers will be acknowledged at port of entry ,paper may be at the discretion of officer on duty
That is a rather bizarre response.

First, do you have an EEA Family Permit or a Residence Card? You will need a residence card to document your right of residence, but it does not have to be in your passport. A separate document is just as valid.

Now the other question is whether you are travelling with your wife. If so, you are without any doubt covered by the European right of free movement, and you should have no problem. If not, you have to talk to the Swiss embassy, as the situation can be slightly more complex. Since you have a valid reason, I would assume that they are going to find a solution for you.
do you think i could go to the HO and ask them to stamp it ,as this is an emergency
Unfortunately that is not possible. If you want the sticker in your new passport, you will have to apply again.

Tom