ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! - Spouse to HSMP within the UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

newcastleliv
Newly Registered

Help! - Spouse to HSMP within the UK

Post by newcastleliv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi, first time on here and I could really use some help!

I am an Australian national and will be changing status from unmarried spouse visa to HSMP from within the uk. The official stance from the uk home office is that I must return to my country of residence to gain entry clearance under my new HSMP status. However, I have heard from other immigrants that once the visa has been granted, Australian's can travel to a British embassy within Europe (e.g Paris) to obtain entry clearance.

Can someone confirm whether this is true or not, based on their own or shared experiences?

Many thanks

Olivia

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:38 am

One can only apply for Entry Clearance in their country of residence.

See paragraph 28 http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policy ... les/part1/
________
CANCER - LYMPHOMAS FORUMS
Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 am

Not knowing your personal reasons ...

But, it doesn't seem like the best move. As an unmarried partner, you have a faster path toward permanent residence / naturalization. It's about three years one way and could be five (or more) by switching.

But, I do see advantages to converting under some circumstances.

Have you considered this carefully ...? You're SURE that switching is the best option for you ..?

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:38 pm

hi admin

do u mean that by switching from spouse visa to hsmp/tier1 u reset the ilr clock and need a further 5y. is that why u advise staying in spouse visa? didnt know this happens while switching from spouse visa to other employment visas. could someone clarify this please.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:44 am

vinay shanthi wrote:hi admin

do u mean that by switching from spouse visa to hsmp/tier1 u reset the ilr clock and need a further 5y. is that why u advise staying in spouse visa? didnt know this happens while switching from spouse visa to other employment visas. could someone clarify this please.
Yes it resets the time for the 2 yrs spouse path as employment and spouse visa's are 2 seperate categories and the time spent on each can only be accumulated for the 10yrs legal stay.