ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR acquired as spouse of EEA-national in UK - what happens after EEA national becomes UK citizen?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kurtburp
Newly Registered

PR acquired as spouse of EEA-national in UK - what happens after EEA national becomes UK citizen?

Post by kurtburp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi,
I would much appreciate an answer to the following:
I am an EEA national exercising my treaty rights, i.e. living in the UK.
My non-EEA wife applied for PR which was granted in 2016 (on the basis of me, her spouse, exercising treaty rights and having spent 5+ yrs here)
I have now successfully applied for UK citizenship
Question: Does my wife now "lose" her PR status, and need to re-apply as the spouse of a UK national? Her PR card is valid 10 years from 2016.
Note: my wife is NOT applying for UK citizenship, as her country does not recognise multiple passports/nationalities.

Many thanks for your help!
Kurt

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: PR acquired as spouse of EEA-national in UK - what happens after EEA national becomes UK citizen?

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm

No, your wife will retain her PR status.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kurtburp
Newly Registered

Re: PR acquired as spouse of EEA-national in UK - what happens after EEA national becomes UK citizen?

Post by kurtburp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks, I was not sure, as I thought I'd read on a HO page that the PR card would no longer be valid post-Brexit etc.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-resid ... dence-card
So just a bit confusing...
Thanks again.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm

That's unconnected to you becoming a British citizen.
kurtburp wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 pm
So just a bit confusing...
It's a mess.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kurtburp
Newly Registered

Post by kurtburp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks, true. So in a nutshell, once I am (formally) a British citizen, my wife will NOT need to take any action wrt to her PR status/ her PR card?
Again, your feedback is much appreciated.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 am

Given that she probably had her initial EEA residency status in 2011, then she almost certainly also falls under the McCarthy Transitional Arrangement. If she is covered by the CTA, then even if you had acquired British citizenship before she had acquired PR it still would not have affected her.

kurtburp
Newly Registered

Post by kurtburp » Mon May 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the responses - belatedly!

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm
That's unconnected to you becoming a British citizen.
So long as the OP has remained an EU citizen. As I read the draft treaty, his wife's PR could be meaningless if he ceased to be an EU citizen, or, incredibly, if he died. So keep watching the news.

kurtburp
Newly Registered

Post by kurtburp » Wed May 23, 2018 6:28 am

Incredible. But luckily I have remained an EU citizen. Thanks.