ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civil Penalties

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

spouse2uk
Newly Registered
Singapore

Civil Penalties

Post by spouse2uk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am

Hello everyone,

I have just recently receive a self assessment late filing penalty from HMRC. Self assessment has been filed and tax has been paid. As I am planning to apply for british citizenship, I am just wondering, during my application, will i need to state it down in the "good character" section ? and if this will negatively impact my application ?

I am also wondering if i should appeal the penalty as I am worried that if my appeal got rejected, it will impact it even more negatively ? or if its easier to just pay the 100 pounds penalty ?

Over the years, I have had a few careless is mistakes, had one driving without insurance conviction (over 10 years ago), 2 non council tax payment (over 10 years ago) and a CCJ (over 3 years ago). All these are rather careless mistakes (not opening mails etc.) and are all settled and paid soon after discovery.

any advice please. Thanks !

Jon

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Civil Penalties

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

From my knowledge tax late filing penalties need not be disclosed. If HMRC take you to court about non-payment etc that would be a different story as it could lead to a conviction.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

spouse2uk
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by spouse2uk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:45 am

thanks for the reply.

If anyone can let me know. If I unsuccessfully appeal it, does that mean I will then have to fill the section with this penalty details ? (I am only appealing to hmrc and not challenging it in court).

Thanks again

coltam82
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by coltam82 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 am

I wouldn’t stress to much about, I got approved with points on my licence which I got from the court due to not paying on time.. just be honest

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 am

spouse2uk wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:45 am
thanks for the reply.

If anyone can let me know. If I unsuccessfully appeal it, does that mean I will then have to fill the section with this penalty details ? (I am only appealing to hmrc and not challenging it in court).

Thanks again
No, it's not a court procedure, unsuccessful appeal isn't a prosecution. This is about your arrangements with HMRC.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.