ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR for Non-EEA Dependant Family Member

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GabriellaG
Mood:
South Africa

PR for Non-EEA Dependant Family Member

Post by GabriellaG » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm

HI Everyone,

After some help for a friend of mine as we cannot find any information online and she is trying to understand when she can apply for PR.

She is South African and originally entered UK originally on Student Visa (over 18 years old).
Her Dad has an Italian passport and only got this when he moved to the UK during her studies.
After her student Visa expired she switched onto Family Member of EEA National as a dependant of her dad.
During her time as a dependant to her Dad she worked full time as the visa allowed this, didn't rely on him financially and also lived in her own flat-share for majority of the time and then with her now Husband.
She then got married in Jan 2016 to an Italian guy and got Family Member Permit through him in July 2016.

Our question is when is she able to apply for Permanent Residence?
She is concerned because I am not sure what being a "dependant" means and what she will need to prove / provide for that time period. Will it matter that she had a different address to her dad and was financially independant?

In summary:
So student 31 July 2009
Moved onto EEA residence card via Father March 2011 (was a dependant for 5 years and did receive some money from him towards rent etc although not sure she can prove this for the full 5 years)
Moved onto EEA residence card through Husband July 2016 to present (they got married January 2016 in London)

In order to apply for the 5 year qualifying period under her dad would it be granted if she was self sufficient but still had a bit of money from him? Not sure what the criteria is.

Or does she need to be on the residence card for 5 years under her spouse before she can apply for PR since she believes that she under her dad she stopped being dependent?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

popcorn
Newly Registered
Germany

Re: PR for Non-EEA Dependant Family Member

Post by popcorn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:02 pm

GabriellaG wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm
HI Everyone,

After some help for a friend of mine as we cannot find any information online and she is trying to understand when she can apply for PR.

She is South African and originally entered UK originally on Student Visa (over 18 years old).
Her Dad has an Italian passport and only got this when he moved to the UK during her studies.
After her student Visa expired she switched onto Family Member of EEA National as a dependant of her dad.
During her time as a dependant to her Dad she worked full time as the visa allowed this, didn't rely on him financially and also lived in her own flat-share for majority of the time and then with her now Husband.
She then got married in Jan 2016 to an Italian guy and got Family Member Permit through him in July 2016.

Our question is when is she able to apply for Permanent Residence?
She is concerned because I am not sure what being a "dependant" means and what she will need to prove / provide for that time period. Will it matter that she had a different address to her dad and was financially independant?

In summary:
So student 31 July 2009
Moved onto EEA residence card via Father March 2011 (was a dependant for 5 years and did receive some money from him towards rent etc although not sure she can prove this for the full 5 years)
Moved onto EEA residence card through Husband July 2016 to present (they got married January 2016 in London)

In order to apply for the 5 year qualifying period under her dad would it be granted if she was self sufficient but still had a bit of money from him? Not sure what the criteria is.

Or does she need to be on the residence card for 5 years under her spouse before she can apply for PR since she believes that she under her dad she stopped being dependent?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
hey there,
I am going through the same issue, for some reason I felt like I was reading about myself. so how did it go with your friend, was she given any PR. mine was declined based on the fact I was not financially dependant on my parent.

it would really help if you would tell me what route she used please

babal23
Newly Registered

Re: PR for Non-EEA Dependant Family Member

Post by babal23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:43 am

@popcorn i am on the same boat got refused twice because i cannot prove i am dependent on him because i was working full time can you please me whats going on with you case?