ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i work with a stamp 1? I'm not married to EU citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

calai

Can i work with a stamp 1? I'm not married to EU citizen

Post by calai » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:53 pm

Hi,

Im currently staying in Ireland as a student and got my GNIB card. I have no problem to stay here as my current stamp on passport will expire in Oct 08 but i shall be starting to work in Sep or Oct and my employer promised to sponsor me for a training visa. They will sponsor my work permit if i need one in the future (I'll qualify for green card after i finish my training in 3 or 4 years).

Im just interested...what does a stamp 1 mean and can i work if i have a stamp 1? I have a stamp on my passport which seems to be a stamp 2 as im a student and it is written i can work for 20 hrs during school term and 40 hrs during school holiday. However, my GNIB card stated i have a stamp 1. Im confused about my rights...

Would anyone please help?

Laoch na hEireann
Newly Registered

Post by Laoch na hEireann » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:49 pm

thats an error.....you should have a stamp 2 as a student.
Return to GNIB and they will issue you with a new card at no cost.

calai

Post by calai » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:35 pm

An error...?

What is the difference between stamp 1 & 2 then? I have an impression that stamp 1 is better than 2. I used to have a work holiday visa, i guess i was on stamp 1...I don't know if it is an admin error, may be GNIB has different treatment towards different people? I don't need a student visa and my university grant me EU fee status...

Does anyone know if i can work with a GNIB card with stamp 1 on it?

Cheers

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 am

read here: http://www.mrci.ie/know_rights/legalsta ... idency.htm
# Stamp 1 indicates that the person is entitled to work if they have a valid work permit
# Stamp 2 indicates that the person is a student and may be entitled to work up 20 hours part time

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm not sure if you found your answer yet. I'm not sure what you are training for, but I will be training as an accountant. The GNIB issues a Stamp 1A for trainee accountants. I can't find an exact explanation of what it is, but I believe it is like a Stamp 1 without a work permit because the work is part of your training. I guess it's a combo of Stamp 1 and 2. I don't know how it works for other training programs, but it might be similar. Good luck.

Cheers!