ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Citizenship question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gxnther
Newly Registered
United States of America

Dual Citizenship question

Post by gxnther » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm

For as long as I can remember (I'm 30 now), my father and I have been talking about how I'm eligible for dual Irish citizenship and that we need to work on getting it. My dad's getting elderly now and we always had the idea that I would need to get it after he becomes a citizen, so I began looking into it to make sure we got it squared away. I don't think that's correct anymore.

My dad's grandmother immigrated to America from Ireland. I was not registered in the birth registry so I am unable to get it based on descent as it's too far removed for me to get it unless I was registered in the birth registry prior to my birth (I think?). Is there anyway if my dad gets it that I can get it? If he were to buy property there would that mean anything (always been a dream of his).

streeter011
Newly Registered

Re: Dual Citizenship question

Post by streeter011 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:43 pm

If I understood correctly, your great-grandmother was born in Ireland (apologies if wrong). This means your father may be eligible for Irish Citizenship based on Irish born grandparent rule but the first step is register your father in the Foreign Births Register.

See below from INIS website.
To become an Irish citizen, your great-grandparent's grandchild (ie your parent) who is of Irish descent must have registered in the Foreign Births Register between the years 1956 and 1986, or if you were born after 1986 they registered before you were born. The Foreign Births Register is managed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

The best is to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and ask them if your father can register now? As far as I know, you can't register yourself until your father is registered.