ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British/Irish - Northern Ireland EEA route?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mourneman
Newly Registered
Ireland

British/Irish - Northern Ireland EEA route?

Post by mourneman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 am

I'm a British passport holder and my non EU partner came to the UK on a Tier 4 student visa. We met in England and started a relationship in 2013, moved into together in 2014 and had our first child in 2015. We are not married.

In 2016 she was granted limited Leave Outside The Rules (LOTR) under the 'Exceptional Circumstances' rules due to our child, which runs out later this year.

Since then we have moved to Northern Ireland, where I'm from, and had another child and plan to get married later this year.

I plan to just apply for FLR but understand there is another option via the EEA route if I obtain an Irish passport (which I'm entitled to) and relinquish my British passport. I then becone Irish (EU) living in the UK.

Speaking to a few people this seems a popular route for bringing a non EU wife into Northern Ireland but as we are not married yet and already in the UK any advice would be welcome.

secret.simon

Re: British/Irish - Northern Ireland EEA route?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Also see this long-running thread on the same topic.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mourneman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by mourneman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Many thanks I did see that but as relevant postings are nearly 2 years old hoping someone has more up to date information/experience

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:22 pm

mourneman wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Many thanks I did see that but as relevant postings are nearly 2 years old hoping someone has more up to date information/experience
Nothing has changed since then.

If you want to use the EEA rules, you better get your skates on. This option will disappear if/when Brexit happens.