ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA national self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EEA_question
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EEA national self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member?

Post by EEA_question » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this was posted earlier. So far I didn’t succeed to find answer for my question hence starting a new thread.

My question is:

Can a EEA national exercise a Treaty right as self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member residing in host member state(UK) and holding EEA residence card?

According to EU regulation 4(2):
“For the purposes of paragraphs (3) and (4) below, “relevant family member” means a family member of a self-sufficient person or student who is residing in the United Kingdom and whose right to reside is dependent upon being the family member of that student or self-sufficient person.”

Has anyone here been granted a EEA residence card or EEA PR satisfying above?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EEA national self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member?

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:09 pm

The EU national, being self sufficient or a student, will need to hold CSI to be a qualified person.

Non_EU spouse's income is irrelevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: EEA national self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm

EEA_question wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 pm
Can a EEA national exercise a Treaty right as self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member residing in host member state(UK) and holding EEA residence card?
I will frame the answer slightly differently from CR001, though the substance is the same.

Yes, provided the EEA citizen has CSI (private health insurance) coverage for themselves AND all non-British family members for the entire period that they are not exercising treaty rights by either working or seeking work.

However, if the EEA citizen does not have CSI (a very common oversight), they are not exercising treaty rights and that stops the PR Clock for themselves and all non-British family members, including the non-EEA family member on whom they are dependent.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

EEA_question
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by EEA_question » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Thank you @secret.simon and @CR001 for your quick reply.

EU citizen didn't had CSI for one year (when not working or seeking work) out of five years, which means not qualified for PR for now.

EU citizen is currently student and has CSI (for themselves AND non-eu family members) from past 3 years, I'm non-eea family member of EU citizen currently living in UK, working full time and holding valid residence card expiring early next year.

This year we want to apply for another registration certificate for EU citizen and residence card for non-EU family member ( Last time they took more than 9 months to issue EU RC and non-EU RC, so planning to apply bit early to avoid problems).

In this case, can we show non-eu family member income as sufficient financial resources ( as required under EU regulation 4(d) ) for EU citizen to be qualified person to exercising treaty rights as student?

EEA_question
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by EEA_question » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I post same question to Europe Advice enquiry and this is the response I received. I hope this will help others who are looking for answer.

Reply from Europe Advice enquiry:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find below the reply to your enquiry. Please note that the advice given by Your Europe Advice is an independent advice and cannot be considered to be the opinion of the European Commission, of any other EU institution or its staff nor will this advice be binding upon the European Commission, any other EU or national institution.

Thank you for contacting Your Europe Advice.

In order to have a right to stay in the UK beyond three months as the family member of an EU citizen, the family member must be able to demonstrate that their EU relative has a right to reside.

An EU citizen will have a right to reside under Article 7(1) of Directive 2004/38 provided that either (1) they are working there, or (2) they are working as a self-employed person, or (3) they are studying there, or (4) they are not working but they have adequate financial resources to support themselves and their family members while living in the UK so that none of them become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the UK and they all have comprehensive sickness insurance in place.

The rules relating to the proof of sufficient resources are contained in Directive 2004/38 on residence rights as supplemented by the case law of the EU Court of Justice.

Directive 2004/38 does not specify the amount of resources an EEA national needs to have.

The Directive states that a person will be considered as having sufficient resources if he has an income above the level below which nationals become eligible for social assistance (Article 8(4) of Directive 2004/38 applies).

This means that, under Article 8(4) of Directive 2004/38, the UK authorities cannot require the EEA national to prove that he has resources of a specific amount. Instead, the EEA national should ensure that he can show that his financial resources are above the amount below which nationals can apply for social assistance. In the UK, we understand that this would correspond to the weekly amount of Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance of £ 73.10 per week for a single person and £ 114.85 per week for a couple (aged 25 or above).

This means a couple who demonstrate that they have resources of over £ 114.85 per week (£ 497.68 per month) must be considered as having sufficient resources.

The rate of reference changes every tax year:
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/resources/ ... edit-rates

The concept of sufficient resources has been examined by the EU Court of Justice.

In Case C-310/08 Ibrahim, the Court confirmed that, whatever their nationality, the family members of a Union
citizen who is residing in another Member State without being a worker or self-employed person there have the right to
accompany or join that EU citizen, provided that the citizen has sufficient resources for himself and the family members and has comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State (confirmed by the Court in Case C-218/14 Kuldip Singh).

In Case C-200/02 Zhu and Chen, the Court of Justice confirmed that that the origin of a person s resources is immaterial (confirmed by the Court in Case C-86/12 Alokpa and Moudoulou and Case C-218/14 Kuldip Singh).

In Case C-408/03 Commission v Belgium, the Court of Justice ruled there is no need to establish that there is a formal legal obligation on the family member to provide for the EU citizen who is relying upon that support for their material needs.

In Case C-398/06 Commission v Netherlands, the Court of Justice held that Member States cannot require economically inactive persons to have to prove they have resources that are sufficient to sustain them for at least a year regardless of the period of their intended stay when they begin to reside, because this went beyond the objective of requiring that a person demonstrate they are self-sufficient.

In Case C-218/14 Kuldip Singh, the Court of Justice explicitly confirmed that an EU citizen may rely on the resources obtained by their non-EU spouse from their employed or self-employed activity in the host Member State in order to demonstrate that they have sufficient resources as required by Article 7(1)(b) of Directive 2004/38.

Based on the above, we can confirm that an EEA national is able to claim a right of residence in the UK as self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member residing in the UK.

However, in addition, if the EEA national does not work, they will need to have comprehensive sickness insurance for themselves and all their family members, even if the EEA national s spouse works). Note that the UK does not recognize NHS cover as being sufficient for this purpose. Therefore, in order to ensure that the non-EEA spouse retains a right of residence in the UK and the right to work there, their EEA spouse will need to arrange private health insurance for themselves and all their family members if the EEA national does not work.

We recommend the EEA national looks into obtaining private healthcare cover at affordable rates. We are aware from research on internet discussion boards that healthcare insurance can be obtained for relatively modest sums, such as:
WPA http://www.wpa.org.uk, General & Medical https://www.generalandmedical.com/, Aviva http://www.aviva.co.uk/private-health-insurance/, BUPA http://www.bupa.co.uk/, AXA PPP https://www.axappphealthcare.co.uk/, CS Healthcare http://www.cshealthcare.co.uk/, Vitality Health http://www.pruhealth.co.uk/, Exeter Family Friendly https://www.exeterfamily.co.uk and Freedom Health Insurance https://www.freedomhealthinsurance.co.uk/

We hope this answers your query.

We remain at your disposal, should you require further information.

To submit another enquiry, please visit Your Europe Advice, but do not reply to this e-mail.

Your original enquiry was:
Can a EEA national exercise a Treaty right as self-sufficient based on the income of their non-EEA family member residing in host member state and holding EEA residence card?

Yours sincerely,
Your Europe Advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm

They wrote in two pages what I wrote in two sentences. Showing off their expensive education. :D :)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.