ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

major January changes to HSMP qualifying criteria??

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zeke

major January changes to HSMP qualifying criteria??

Post by zeke » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:53 am

Dear Friends,

Does anyone know anything about this?

I found it at workpermits.com (our gracious hosts!)

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2004_07_ ... 975c1e5179

“UK HSMP to get tougher
21 July 2004
The Home Office is likely to toughen up the Rules surrounding the UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme to bring it back into line with its original objectives which were set out when the Scheme was first introduced back in January 2002.
The programme originally set out to target the top 10% of the global work force. Since the reduction of points from 75 to 65 in October 2003, HSMP applications have more than doubled.
The Home Office is now concerned that the Scheme has become too easy and that too many applicants are qualifying for the Scheme who would not be deemed to be part of the top 10% of the global workforce.
In approximately 6 months time, the Home Office will be announcing new HSMP criteria. The new criteria will almost certainly be much more stringent, to bring the Scheme back in line with its original objectives. We expect the Home Office to increase the pass mark from 65 points to 75 points, certainly for applicants over 28 years old. We would expect the under 28 category to remain unchanged.
In light of these forthcoming changes, we suggest that if you are thinking of applying for HSMP, you do so as soon as possible.”

I shall attempt to email the good folks at workpermit.com to ask if they have any update on this critical piece of information. I will let all of you know the result. In the meantime, does anyone know anything about this?? It has made me more than just a bit nervous...
Be Well!

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:27 am

Zeke,

No, unfortunately have not heard anything more on this article.

However, there is a new article out on the Work Permit site news page dated 10 December, 2004. Article is titled, 'UK - Conservatives to overhaul immigration policy'. I did a little more research out there on the Internet, surfing to British Conservative web pages, and getting their take on the immigration issue (Very interesting reading. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in or trying to immigrate to the UK, especially those thinking about the student, work permit, or Scotland fresh talent routes!)

I think the general elections are coming up in May 2005 (Those in the UK, please correct me if I'm wrong), and depending on who wins, we could see an immediate and radical shift in immigration policy, philosophy, and rules. :shock:
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:10 pm

No news!
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:09 pm

IMHO no major changes will be implemented before the election apart from regulations to effect the latest Immigration Act. Labour has minimal concerns to face on this (immigration) issue given its covered all angles that will be raised by the opposition ranging from limiting appeal rights (thus driving asylum claimants undergound) to ID cards. Its going to be the usual suspects - the Economy (tax and house prices will be big), Education and the NHS.