ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Requirement for Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

English Requirement for Citizenship

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:19 am

Morning All

(This post is from my partner)

I was going through the forum for the requirement checklist for British citizenship and passport and noticed that one of the requirement is to provide your knowledge of English language.

I have got ILR (through 5 years stay in the UK as Tier 1 visa holder) + 1 year stay in the UK and in my previous applications (extensions and ILR) for English requirement I had provided the print out from point based calculator but now that calculator does not exist on UKBA website.

So the question is, because I have proven/shown evidence in the past (previous applications), do I still have to prove it again for citizenship.

Many thanks in advance for your time to review my post and for your advice.

Kind Regards

vinny

Re: English Requirement for Citizenship

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 am

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:19 am
do I still have to prove it again for citizenship.
Yes.
Knowledge of language and life in the UK wrote:The points based calculator was turned off on 6 April 2016. An official statement from UK NARIC must be obtained before applying. Further information is provided on www.naric.org.uk/visasandnationality.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 am

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Morning All

I was going through the forum for the requirement checklist for British citizenship and passport and noticed that one of the requirement is to provide your knowledge of English language.

I have got ILR (through 5 years stay in the UK as Tier 1 visa holder) + 1 year stay in the UK and in my previous applications (extensions and ILR) for English requirement I had provided the print out from point based calculator but now that calculator does not exist on UKBA website. No need for point based calculator anymore

So the question is, because I have proven/shown evidence in the past (previous applications), do I still have to prove it again for citizenship. Yes you need to prove to refer to:

From booklet AN
If you met the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK when you applied for settlement by having a B1 level test you do not have to demonstrate it again. (People who applied for settlement on or after 28 October 2013 needed to have had a B1 level qualification.)

From Guide AN
If you have a B1 level qualification that was accepted for the purposes of a settlement application, then you do not need to pass another English language test for your citizenship application.

Kind Regards
I applied JCAP through NCS last September along with my wife as Tier 2 General & Tier 2 General Dependent During the appointment, NCS lady called HO on hotline and confirmed regarding English language criteria as, during entire immigration history up to that point, we had only relied on the Point-based calculator and never taken any English language tests, she was not convinced my documents were complete. HO representative told her since we had proved our English language competency at ILR stage we did not need any further certificates, however, we should provide our degree certificates, We did not carry them as part of Naturalisation application I was allowed to return home and submit them. We also have letters from our unis back in India confirming medium of instruction of our degrees was English.

Hope it helps.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Many thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please advice which center did you go for your application.

I have the original master's degree from Sikkim Manipal University and the old PBS calculator printout showing the degree was taught in English, do you think it should be enough.

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:37 am
lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Morning All

I have got ILR (through 5 years stay in the UK as Tier 1 visa holder) + 1 year stay in the UK and in my previous applications (extensions and ILR) for English requirement I had provided the print out from point based calculator but now that calculator does not exist on UKBA website. No need for point based calculator anymore

So the question is, because I have proven/shown evidence in the past (previous applications), do I still have to prove it again for citizenship. Yes you need to prove to refer to:

From booklet AN
If you met the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK when you applied for settlement by having a B1 level test you do not have to demonstrate it again. (People who applied for settlement on or after 28 October 2013 needed to have had a B1 level qualification.)

From Guide AN
If you have a B1 level qualification that was accepted for the purposes of a settlement application, then you do not need to pass another English language test for your citizenship application.

Kind Regards
I applied JCAP through NCS last September along with my wife as Tier 2 General & Tier 2 General Dependent During the appointment, NCS lady called HO on hotline and confirmed regarding English language criteria as, during entire immigration history up to that point, we had only relied on the Point-based calculator and never taken any English language tests, she was not convinced my documents were complete. HO representative told her since we had proved our English language competency at ILR stage we did not need any further certificates, however, we should provide our degree certificates, We did not carry them as part of Naturalisation application I was allowed to return home and submit them. We also have letters from our unis back in India confirming medium of instruction of our degrees was English.

Hope it helps.

Many thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please advice which center did you go for your application.

I have the original master's degree from Sikkim Manipal University and the old PBS calculator printout showing the degree was taught in English, do you think it should be enough.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 pm

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:46 pm
Many thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please advice which center did you go for your application. NCS Aylesbury

i would suggest the following two steps:
1. If you did not provide anything else for other than point based calculator to prove your KOL at ILR stage please write to KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk asking for them to confirm if the above alongwith a letter from SMU certifying your degree was taught in English/medium of instruction was English and your degree certificate would be sufficient. Please mentioned you obtained your ILR after 28 October 2013 with the above documents only. If you get a positive answer share here and apply, else

2. Get your degree verified by UK Naric (https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individuals/). Simple but it will cost you some £60 and 15 days.

Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:10 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 pm
lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Many thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please advice which center did you go for your application. NCS Aylesbury

1. If you did not provide anything else for other than point based calculator to prove your KOL at ILR stage please write to KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk asking for them to confirm if the above alongwith a letter from SMU certifying your degree was taught in English/medium of instruction was English and your degree certificate would be sufficient. Please mentioned you obtained your ILR after 28 October 2013 with the above documents only. If you get a positive answer share here and apply, else

2. Get your degree verified by UK Naric (https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individuals/). Simple but it will cost you some £60 and 15 days.

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like the email is not valid any more, i sent the email and it bounced back.
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

i noticed that in the latest form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 02-18_.pdf

you have the option to check

Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013.
Or

Hopefully it should be enough.

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I see that we can send the form with supported document to UKVI

If you are currently in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland send the form
with the fee and supporting documents to:
Department 1
UKVI
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

or you can apply online on - https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... onality-an

so I was thinking whats the pupose or benefit of going through NCS .

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 pm

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:49 pm
I was thinking whats the pupose or benefit of going through NCS .
NCS will have a look through your form and alert you if you have made any noticeable errors. Worth remembering that if your naturalisation application fails because of an error in the application form, the Home Office keeps the fees. Better to spend circa £60 than lose about £1200.

They will also copy your documents and you can hold on to your passport and travel documents.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 pm
lifeinuk2018 wrote:
NCS will have a look through your form and alert you if you have made any noticeable errors. Worth remembering that if your naturalisation application fails because of an error in the application form, the Home Office keeps the fees. Better to spend circa £60 than lose about £1200.

They will also copy your documents and you can hold on to your passport and travel documents.
thanks for your reply.

while filling the form, i have noticed this question.

"Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?"

I have been in the UK since Mar 2011 and have only applied for extension and ILR, do I have to fill "yes" or are they referring to Citizenship here? if they are refering to my original application for T1 (G) visa outside the UK, then I dont know the reference number, I only have my T1 (G) visa number which is on the passport page

Any advice?

CMOSUK
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by CMOSUK » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:48 am

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 pm
lifeinuk2018 wrote:

thanks for your reply.

while filling the form, i have noticed this question.

"Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?"

I have been in the UK since Mar 2011 and have only applied for extension and ILR, do I have to fill "yes" or are they referring to Citizenship here? if they are refering to my original application for T1 (G) visa outside the UK, then I dont know the reference number, I only have my T1 (G) visa number which is on the passport page

Any advice?
My understanding is, in your case your previous UK immigration application in the UK would have been an application for ILR, and those before it so the answer would be yes.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 pm

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:10 pm
dontringthebell wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 pm
lifeinuk2018 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like the email is not valid any more, i sent the email and it bounced back.
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

i noticed that in the latest form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 02-18_.pdf

you have the option to check

Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013. yes that's what we selected, however letter from SMU would be helpful
Or

Hopefully it should be enough.

Please use NCS/NDRS ONLINE services. Always better to keep your important and original documents with yourself.

Answer to immigration question is yes. Reference number on your ILR

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks a lot for all the answers and advices to all the members :) you guys are the best.

rohitys
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rohitys » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 pm

lifeinuk2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 pm
Thanks a lot for all the answers and advices to all the members :) you guys are the best.
Could you give us an update on if you went ahead without the Naric certificate as I'm in the same boat

lifeinuk2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by lifeinuk2018 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:21 pm

It's been a while I have come login in, I got my Citizenship last year around July 2018.

I spoke to CitizenShip application helpline, they told me that if I have proven english requirement in ILR application then they dont need anything else.

I did not go for the test, with my application I included a covering letter that I have already proven the English requirement in my ILR application and that's all.

The case worker approved my citizenship.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks for the update. It's reassuring to note that you didn't have to take the extra step and the LIUK was accepted.

I was in a similar predicament, and am booked in for the test already. See -> british-citizenship/english-language-re ... 76597.html
Cheers,
OR