ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving English language requirement following online application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Oxidane
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Proving English language requirement following online application?

Post by Oxidane » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am

Morning all,

I was reflecting on my BC application and a thought occurred to me - now I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue (if that's the right word).

I submitted my BC application via the online portal and used the NDCS (nationality document checking service). I have a UK degree.

Nowhere on my document checklist nor process with the NDCS was I asked to prove the English Language requirement i.e. provide my degree certificate.

I made it aware to the NDCS officer I had my degree to hand but she said it wasn't necessary.

Any thoughts?

mk819
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Proving English language requirement following online application?

Post by mk819 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 am

Oxidane wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am
Morning all,

I was reflecting on my BC application and a thought occurred to me - now I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue (if that's the right word).

I submitted my BC application via the online portal and used the NDCS (nationality document checking service). I have a UK degree.

Nowhere on my document checklist nor process with the NDCS was I asked to prove the English Language requirement i.e. provide my degree certificate.

I made it aware to the NDCS officer I had my degree to hand but she said it wasn't necessary.

Any thoughts?
Hi, had the same issue, on my checklist English Qualification was not asked, but i had my degree with me and i requested to add it with my documents at NDRS appointment.

Do you mind me asking on what basis you applied for naturalization.?

Oxidane
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Oxidane » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:14 am

mk819 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 am
Oxidane wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am
Morning all,

Any thoughts?
Hi, had the same issue, on my checklist English Qualification was not asked, but i had my degree with me and i requested to add it with my documents at NDRS appointment.

Do you mind me asking on what basis you applied for naturalization.?
Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear someone else had a similar issue. I should've insisted she also photocopied my certificate.

I guess the home office will contact me for this?

Applied for naturalisation as have had ILR since 1999 (from parents who immigrated to the UK when I was very young) and have grown up here.

mk819
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mk819 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 am

you welcome,
No need to worry, if you are not in hurry or delay in passport doesn't stop ur daily affairs then my advise is to relax and wait for HO to contact, it not ur fault, they should've design the form properly.

Oxidane
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Oxidane » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

mk819 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 am
you welcome,
No need to worry, if you are not in hurry or delay in passport doesn't stop ur daily affairs then my advise is to relax and wait for HO to contact, it not ur fault, they should've design the form properly.
Thank you! Think I just wanted to hear some reassurance!

All the best for your application too.

Twine
United Kingdom

Post by Twine » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Oxidane,

Like you, my spouse and I applied for naturalisation using the online form followed by a NDRS appointment at our council.

I am a national of an English-speaking country and only needed to show my passport to prove English language fluency. This was listed as a requirement in the document checklist as follows:
* The [country removed] passport, identity card or official letter for [Twine's full name] to
prove the level of English language required

Also, on the final copy of our application form it stated that:
* You do not need to provide further evidence of your level of English because you are a national of [country removed]

However, my spouse is not a national of an English-speaking country. But (like you) there was no reference on the document checklist asking for proof of English language fluency. Fortunately my spouse has a UK degree so we provided this for photocopying at the NDRS appointment.

It seems to me that there is an error in the document checklist for online applications. We brought all the paperwork we could think of to the council but, as mk819 said, the Home Office will contact you if they need further proof. No need to worry as this has probably happened to lots of other online applicants.

Cheers,
Twine

Chuk85
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Chuk85 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm

HI

I'm in the same boat, grew up here ILR since 2000. have UK degree but on the checklist didnt ask for proof of language so didnt send it. will be interested in what they say. as now i wish i had just sent it, hopefully if they nede it they will just ask for it rather than reject it out of hand. keep us updated please.

thanks

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Chuk85 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm
HI

I'm in the same boat, grew up here ILR since 2000. have UK degree but on the checklist didnt ask for proof of language so didnt send it. will be interested in what they say. as now i wish i had just sent it, hopefully if they nede it they will just ask for it rather than reject it out of hand. keep us updated please.

thanks
Maybe it is safer to send it rather than to wait for HO to contact you as it will reduce any delay and risk of refusal ( if HO send letter and you do not receive it) Proof of English Language is a compulsory requirement for naturalization

Chuk85
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Chuk85 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Hstepper07 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm
Chuk85 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm
HI

thanks
Maybe it is safer to send it rather than to wait for HO to contact you as it will reduce any delay and risk of refusal ( if HO send letter and you do not receive it) Proof of English Language is a compulsory requirement for naturalization

in hindsight it would have been best to send it, but I was sticking rigidly to the checklist and didn't want to confuse matters by sending them info they didn't ask for. Fingers crossed anyway

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:18 pm

There is obviously an issue with there checklist. But then correcting it may delay, inconvenience or cost you money. Sending them info that they do not need will not affect your application. Play safe

hktony
Newly Registered

Post by hktony » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 pm

It happened to me too, I queried this to the NDRS officer, she rang home office straight away and confirmed it might be a glitch on the application website, and I have made a copy and sent all documents together

Regards,

Tony

Twine
United Kingdom

Post by Twine » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:08 pm

hktony wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 pm
It happened to me too, I queried this to the NDRS officer, she rang home office straight away and confirmed it might be a glitch on the application website, and I have made a copy and sent all documents together

Regards,

Tony
Interesting! It does seem like this is a systematic glitch in the form. To nudge the Home Office into fixing it, we should provide feedback via the prompt at the end of the application. Unfortunately, their omission is not something one notices until after the checklist has been printed out.

Is there any avenue (like a suggestion box) for flagging these issues after completing the application process?

Hopefully someone does not end up on the wrong side of a naturalisation decision because of this.

gmccarthy
South Africa

Post by gmccarthy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Damn, wish I'd known this. Online checklist is still missing this. :cry:

The person taking the documents at NCRS didn't even say anything!

Will just have to wait until HO contact me.

pietrovass
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by pietrovass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

Hello all.

I have just submitted by naturalisation application and documents via NDRS (EEA national, have medical degree and BSc from UK university) and as above I wasn’t asked for my degree certificate to prove language on my checklist.

I submitted a formal signed and stamped letter from my university stating I had gained my degrees from them with my Permanent Residence application. I have resubmitted it with this application, but no degree certificate.

Anyone able to advise on the outcome of their applications with this issue? Did the HO contact them to send their degree afterwards?

Thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:55 am

Hstepper07 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm
Agree that a refusal is possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

pietrovass
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by pietrovass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:24 am

pietrovass wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am
Hello all.

I have just submitted by naturalisation application and documents via NDRS (EEA national, have medical degree and BSc from UK university) and as above I wasn’t asked for my degree certificate to prove language on my checklist.

I submitted a formal signed and stamped letter from my university stating I had gained my degrees from them with my Permanent Residence application. I have resubmitted it with this application, but no degree certificate.

Anyone able to advise on the outcome of their applications with this issue? Did the HO contact them to send their degree afterwards?

Thanks.
Just to follow up from my previous post, my Naturalisation application was approved without me sending my formal UK university degree certificate as it wasn’t requested in my documents checklist.

So my advice would be to stick with what’s requested in the checklist. I guess if you do have a degree and want to send it, it won’t do any harm, but it doesn’t seem necessary.