ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax issues - naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrX
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Tax issues - naturalisation

Post by MrX » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm

I have applied for naturalisation a few weeks ago but now getting a bit worried about the following - I had until yesterday an outstanding tax amount (close to £2k) which arose post filing of self assessment tax return. In addition, I paid self assessment late filing of £100. Over the past 4-5 years I had a few late filing penalties - all paid within a month or so.

Should I be worried? I don't know why I didn't think about it before I applied but I guess it is too late now to fix. Any merit in letting the HO know that I have settled the above amount (the HMRC system will take a few days to reflect it).

Much appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Tax issues - naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:26 pm

In it itself tax owed and late filing fines are not an issue for the application, as long as you comply with all arrangements you make/have with HMRC. If you are taken to court by HMRC this could be an issue, especially if they bring criminal charges, but I haven't seen anything on this lately.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.