ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

future F1 student

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sharpy102
Newly Registered

future F1 student

Post by sharpy102 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Hello everyone! :?

I am a student in Europe, who got accepted to a US institution for a PhD program. I have several questions related to application of F1 visa. Please, if any of you have good ideas, or even experiences share it with me! Thank you!

1. If I don't have a house, car, company in my home country, what else could I bring that would make the consulates believe that I don't have an intention of staying in the US? :oops:

2. The professor wants me to travel to the US over the summer, way before the actual school program stars. He wants me to start helping them in the research. However, I've heard that one can only enter into the country on an F1 visa 30 days prior when the instruction beings at the school. Can he write a letter asking the border guy, (or whoever) that he really wants me to leave earlier? Would they let me in then? :?

3. My father wanted a birthday suprise which was a suprise, but not a happy one for me. He actually applied me into the DV 2009 lottery (I'm over 21), because he simply thought that my tuition would be cheaper if I had a permanent resident card in my hand. However, when I got to know this I completely freaked out because first of all, I know that it doesn't give anyone a resident tuition at schools immediately. Second, because I am trying to apply for an F1 visa over the summer, and if it turned out in May that I won, I'm sure they would deny my F1 visa. What should I do? Could I just tell them if they ask whether I applied for DV lottery that I didn't? Or should I tell them that my father did, and I didn't win, or I won, but would not like to take any action on this? :cry:

Please, if anyone has ideas above my three questions, let me know! Please, I really need some feedback...Thank you very much! :P

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:42 pm

1. Family members - proof that you have no relatives in the US and that you would seek to return to your family. Also - if your PhD would enable you to obtain a very good job back home - a booming economy, etc.

2. I'm not sure if a letter would suffice. If that were the case then a lot of people would do that. Read the rules on early entry and if in doubt send an e-mail to the US embassy in your country. Also firstly, contact the International Office of your university in the US and find out if they have prior experience of this.

3. Nice surprise from your dad! I don't know the answer to that though, sorry. Don't divulge information if they don't ask about it, but, as it is the US, you would need to find out if they have ways of knowing/finding out what other visas/applications you have lodged.
Last edited by sakura on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharpy102
Newly Registered

thank you!!! You're great!

Post by sharpy102 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 pm

Hey Sakura!!!

Thank you very much for the answer!! I thought everyone would just ignore my post, and not answer!! You're great! Thank you! :)

Everyone else: if have better ideas, don't hesitate to answer...love to read answers! :P

darko

Post by darko » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 pm

There is no point in disclosing any information about DV lottery for 2 reasons: 1) You will probably not win anyway (it is a lottery after all). 2) Applying for a lottery that can lead to permanent residence will contradict F1 visa intentions of returning home after your studies complete.

Your terror of winning lottery made me smile though. Many people would love to win so you wouldn't have to worry about student visa, various proofs, and out-of-state tuition. (You would be classified in-state after you live certain period of time in the state (I think it is 6-12 months))

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:54 pm

One strategy to get into the U.S. earlier (as a student) is to get formally accepted into an intern position. The beginning of that job (performing research as a critical function of your studies) could effectively mark the 'first day' of your studies.

This would give you leverage to come into the U.S. to pursue studies rather than attempting to obtain some special exemption to come in much earlier than normally allowed.

The professor that wants you to come to the U.S. will need to provide proof that you are beginning your studies in this research position. Meaning, he needs to formally create project/position that documents what you are doing. Universities offer 'Independent Study' credits, so you can declare several credits as an independent study project (coordinate with your professor & department), which will be both your research position and the first day of your studies beginning.

As far as the Green Card, if you intend to stay in the U.S., this is the item you want and you should get it.

Nothing prevents you from studying while under a Green Card.

You will need to prove your ability to support yourself ... exactly the same as if you are a student.

But, with the Green Card, you can take any job at any level you wish at any time. You will not have to "prove" that you will return to your country of origin.

The Green Card process will take quite some time .. and winning the lottery only assures that your application will be considered. It is not an assurance that you will be given a Green Card.

So, get the student visa immediately. Resolve getting into the U.S. at the earliest date you can manage.

You will continue to pursue the Green Card, and you can switch over to it at the end of 2009, should you actually be granted one.

At which time you will not need a student visa anymore.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

darko wrote: [ ... ] out-of-state tuition. (You would be classified in-state after you live certain period of time in the state (I think it is 6-12 months))
Most universities require documents (utility bills, drivers license, rental agreements, etc.) that show you have continuously resided in the state for 12 months or longer to be eligible for in-state tuition.

So, as soon as you get to the U.S., start getting utility/phone bills in your name, establish a bank account, etc. that prove when you began residing in the state.

When/if your Green Card comes through - more than a year from now - you will already have all the documents in order to greatly reduce your tuition. One more advantage of having the Green Card ... many foreign-born students can't take advantage of in-state tuition because they don't have permanent residence rights in the U.S.

Since you have not made your Green Card application (yet), you can omit that information. Should the topic come up, just say that you were notified that you've won the lottery, but that you haven't decided what to do about it yet.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

sharpy102
Newly Registered

thank you

Post by sharpy102 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Darko and Admin,

Thank you for your replies, they were both really really informative!!! Thank you very much! So, I guess I'll just start my application on my F visa, and just omit this DV information. :) I'm really relieved now! Thank you! I still hope I won't win because that would mean I had the intention of staying in the US, and thus they would deny my F visa. So, it's better if I don't win it at all! And if I will want to apply for this kind of lottery in the future, I can always do that while in the US already....I just think it wasn't the right time for my father to set me into this DV thing...
About the professor, I will tell him what you wrote Admin that he needs to write a letter where he explains what is my research project, so then I could enter earlier without being worried of turned away at the port of entry. This is a great idea, thank you!
And do you guys think that bank statements, and just having a family in my home country enough for convincing the consulate that I want to come back to my home country after finishing my studies? Sorry, for asking so much...

Again, I'm really grateful for you guys, and thank you for responding!!! :)

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 pm

A couple of things I'd like to add to what's been said:

1) A lot of graduate programs don't really have specific school year start and end dates. They start whenever the quarter or semester or whatever, starts. It should be simple enough to get the university to state that you're starting your degree in the summer quarter/semester rather than the fall one.

2) When you would be eligible for in-state tuition depends on the state! In Washington state (where I went to grad school), I believe it was something like 3 years of residence, and then you had to prove you didn't just move there to go to school! You don't say what subject you are going to study, but if it's science, I hope they aren't expecting you to have to pay your own tuition!

sharpy102
Newly Registered

thank you Platinum

Post by sharpy102 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Thank you Platinum for your response as well! The more the better, at least I get diverse responses, and I know what to do, and what not to do! :) Well, I'm in science, and as far as I know, the professor would finance my studies, but I still need to show proof that I can pay for my first year, in order to get my F1 visa. (or at least, that's how I know, but again, I don't know for sure all this, so lemme know if you know this specifically!) About the instate tuition, I'm not considering to become a resident, it's just that my dad applied me into this stupid DV- which I hope I won't win! And I'm getting a little relieved because I think people probably start getting their letter in the mail, and I didn't get anything. :) Again, thank you for your response, as well as for the Admin's response, and Darko's response! You guys are all great! I thought no one would answer, and I would be left completely alone, and ignored! Thank you all!!! If still something pops into your mind....this board is here...and I check it often! :) *hint, hint*