ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion with Fiance/Spouse/Family visas

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

I3ariv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

My gf (usa citizen) wants to move to UK

Post by I3ariv » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

Hi all,
So my girlfriend whos usa citizen wants to move to UK. Shes studying in uni first year and we were thinking how could she move to UK which option is better.
We were thinking of her coming to UK studying in richmond uni but it will be really expensive for her.
Another is that she could quit uni and come somehow to uk to work , but then not many jobs she can get without uni that pays good/ok. We always think of opening some business but its hard throught online.
We just want to live together.
Any other options or advice for us ?

Thank you for help!

ouflak1

Re: My gf (usa citizen) wants to move to UK

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I3ariv wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am
Hi all,
So my girlfriend whos usa citizen wants to move to UK. Shes studying in uni first year and we were thinking how could she move to UK which option is better.
We were thinking of her coming to UK studying in richmond uni but it will be really expensive for her.
Another is that she could quit uni and come somehow to uk to work , but then not many jobs she can get without uni that pays good/ok. We always think of opening some business but its hard throught online.
We just want to live together.
Any other options or advice for us ?

Thank you for help!
It seems you've done your homework and researched this well. Assuming your 'just want to live together' statement is exclusive of marriage, then there don't appear to be any other options available. You mentioned that the education route would be expensive. Is it 'expensive' as in she can't afford it, or expensive as in she can afford it, but she doesn't want to spend that kind of money? These are the kind of questions you will need to ask. Otherwise you might have to consider going to the U.S.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Wait until you can afford it, the only way is money ( marriage or student) or serious expertise (work permit). Self emplyment is not an option.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

I3ariv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by I3ariv » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm

I read about this type ''Unmarried Partner Visa''
and it said that i just need to prove that the relationship is legit and that we are intending to get engaged or are already engaged and minimum income of 18600.
But my question is, is it applying to anyone in the UK, or only British citizens ? as it didn't said anything whether British, settled or anything ?

Thanks !

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

I3ariv wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm
and it said that i just need to prove that the relationship is legit and that we are intending to get engaged or are already engaged and minimum income of 18600.
But my question is, is it applying to anyone in the UK, or only British citizens ? as it didn't said anything whether British, settled or anything ?

Thanks !
If only it was that easy! In order to qualify as Unmarried Partners, you need to show that you have been living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years.

You would need documented evidence to support this, which would include shared finances/bills, joint tenancy or mortgage etc.

Don't confuse this with a fiance visa, which requires you to marry in the UK within 6 months and then apply for a 2.5 year FLR(M) Spouse visa. A minimum income level for the sponsor of £18,600 p.a is mandatory.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm

I3ariv wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks !
You've gotten two different (possibly 3) visa categories mixed up. The Unmarried Partner visa is for couples who are and have been living together already for atleast two years. The arrangement should be a relationship 'akin to marriage' and not just roommates or something like that. The burden of proof is substantial (bills, accounts and leases/mortgages in BOTH names, etc...). You'd also have to meet the financial requirements, but since you two haven't lived together yet, the point is moot.

There is also the Fiance visa where you have to be engaged and demonstrate that you will be getting married while she visits you in the UK (venue reservations, family/friend invitations, clothing rentals, etc...). She would then have to leave after the marriage and before 6 months and return on a Spouse visa or apply for 2.5 year FLR. This applies to anyone (not just British).

From your description, it doesn't sound like either of these visas fit your situation or goals. However, since you bring it up, are you intending to get married, because that changes the whole equation? Are you British?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm

There is also the Fiance visa where you have to be engaged and demonstrate that you will be getting married while she visits you in the UK (venue reservations, family/friend invitations, clothing rentals, etc...). She would then have to leave after the marriage and before 6 months and return on a Spouse visa or apply for 2.5 year FLR. This applies to anyone (not just British).
A correction to the advice above. With a Fiance visa there is no requirement to leave the UK after the wedding. The FLR(M) visa would be submitted after the couple are married and before the 6 month fiance visa expires. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Casa wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm
ouflak1 wrote:

A correction to the advice above. With a Fiance visa there is no requirement to leave the UK after the wedding. The FLR(M) visa would be submitted after the couple are married and before the 6 month fiance visa expires. :idea:
It was my understanding that the spouse had to do either: Leave and come back or apply for FLR 2.5 year, hence my wording. I'm fairly certain they can't just stay on the Fiance visa indefinitely. They have either leave/comeback or extend their stay via the Spouse visa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm
Casa wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:

It was my understanding that the spouse had to do either: Leave and come back or apply for FLR 2.5 year, hence my wording. I'm fairly certain they can't just stay on the Fiance visa indefinitely. They have either leave/comeback or extend their stay via the Spouse visa.
No, you are mistakent. A person in the UK on a Fiance visa does not have to leave the UK and can apply for FLR(M) before fiance visa expiry.

You are likely thinking of the other 6 month validity Marriage Visitor Visa, which allows marriage but then the visa holder has to leave. This is only for people who want to marry in the UK and not settle. Costs about £85 versus the £1464 of the Fiance visa above.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Casa wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:

@ouflak1 Of course they can't stay on a Fiance visa indefinitely, which is why I mentioned applying for FLR(M) before the 6 month visa expires. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm
No, you are mistakent. A person in the UK on a Fiance visa does not have to leave the UK and can apply for FLR(M) before fiance visa expiry.
The Fiance visa is not indefinite (in fact I believe it is only 6 months). Somehow the holder has to regularize their stay. They either leave the UK before expiry (and sort out returning by whatever means), or they apply for FLR(M). I don't see any other way around those two options. This may all be irrelevant anyway. I'm not sure the OP is truly interested in this route.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am

ouflak1 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 am
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm
The Fiance visa is not indefinite (in fact I believe it is only 6 months). Somehow the holder has to regularize their stay. They either leave the UK before expiry (and sort out returning by whatever means), or they apply for FLR(M). I don't see any other way around those two options. This may all be irrelevant anyway. I'm not sure the OP is truly interested in this route.
(Casa, not CR001)

I3ariv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by I3ariv » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Thank you for help guys,
Answers to above
Yes we do consider marriage, it might be expensive i mean it probably will but if that's the only option.
I'm not British, i'm permanent resident but not British so i'm wondering if all those fiance visas and what you guys said applies to me as well ?

Wondering which would be better option or more affordable, getting married and as you send all the venue places invitations etc, or her come to UK as student to study here in University, and work part time if its possible to study and work visa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 pm

How are you a Permanent Resident? What is your immigration history?

To study, she pays international rates, which are in excess of £11,000 per year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

I3ariv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by I3ariv » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:21 pm

I live in UK since 2009, European citizen.
There is also option that she can study in Richmond as it has US teaching or something, she said she could study abroad on the US plan in Richmond but it will also be more expensive than if she studied in usa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:26 pm

For a Tier 4 student visa, she has to get a sponsor and get a CAS from an HO approved university/college and she will pay international student fees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

I3ariv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Confusion with Fiance/Spouse/Family visas

Post by I3ariv » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi all,
I'm really confused i'm reading online for about 3 hours now and try to understand British system but its just confusing.
So me [European citizen permanent resident in UK, not British passport holder] want to live with my GF whos [American citizen, currently living and studying in USA].

Yes we plan to marry if there is such need in order to live together.

I was looking for unmarried partner visa for 1 hour until i realized that this won't work as we need proof we lived together for at least 2 years example shared bills]

I was looking into other ways I found Fiance visa. She will come to uk for 6 months > we get married or civil partnership > she apply for spouse visa so she can work and live here. [And here problems as its just confusing for me] I cannot find a cost for spouse visa.
How much does spouse visa cost ? I know fiance costs 1464£
+ Whenever i look spouse visa i see ''family visa"
and then i also see Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK"
So i just get too much info and i get confused

Which should we look into for EEA Family permit from outside UK, or fiance visa>spouse visa in uk

Thanks for help !

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Confusion with Fiance/Spouse/Family visas

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:57 pm

I was looking into other ways I found Fiance visa. She will come to uk for 6 months > we get married or civil partnership > she apply for spouse visa so she can work and live here. [And here problems as its just confusing for me] I cannot find a cost for spouse visa.
How much does spouse visa cost ? I know fiance costs 1464£
Fees increased on 6th April. A fiance visa (and a spouse visa) now cost £1,523.
+ Whenever i look spouse visa i see ''family visa"
This one, link below.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
and then i also see Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK"
Yes, if you are married she can apply for EEA Family Permit from her home country as you are an EU (non British) citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)