ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Council Flat

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iamwiew
Newly Registered

ILR Council Flat

Post by iamwiew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to apply for ILR (via Tier 2 General) in months time. I have a question regarding to the accommodation. I have been married to a British citizen since last year and has moved to his flat. It's a council flat (one bedroom) which he has lived there since before we met. The flat rent bill comes under his name only, but council tax is under both of our names. We have paid the full rent and council tax with no problem. As I understood, a joint tenancy on a property is not allowed as I am subject to immigration control, so we were given a permission letter to stay from a housing officer below...

Dear Mr.X
This letter is to verify that the following people are permitted to live and have lived at X (address details) since DD MM YYYY.
Ms.X - Date of birth
Should you have any further queries, please do not hestitate to contact me.

So my questions are
1. I haven't breach the condition of No recourse to public funds as my husband was granted the flat as a sole tenancy years ago and we have never claimed any public funds since I moved in, am I correct?
2. Is the details on the permission letter above sufficient? I am not sure if it should mention that the flat is not overcrowded etc?
3. When filling in the application form on Section 5-Your home and finances, should I select Other and give the details that the property is rented by my husband with a permission to stay letter for myself? I don't think my case fit in other options (i.e. rented from local authority by you, owned or rented by a relative or friend).

Thank you in advance

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: ILR Council Flat

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 pm

iamwiew wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm
Hi all,

I am planning to apply for ILR (via Tier 2 General) in months time. I have a question regarding to the accommodation. I have been married to a British citizen since last year and has moved to his flat. It's a council flat (one bedroom) which he has lived there since before we met. The flat rent bill comes under his name only, but council tax is under both of our names. We have paid the full rent and council tax with no problem. As I understood, a joint tenancy on a property is not allowed as I am subject to immigration control, so we were given a permission letter to stay from a housing officer below...

Dear Mr.X
This letter is to verify that the following people are permitted to live and have lived at X (address details) since DD MM YYYY.
Ms.X - Date of birth
Should you have any further queries, please do not hestitate to contact me.

So my questions are
1. I haven't breach the condition of No recourse to public funds as my husband was granted the flat as a sole tenancy years ago and we have never claimed any public funds since I moved in, am I correct?

Yes. also provide the tenancy agreement together with the letter when you apply.

2. Is the details on the permission letter above sufficient? I am not sure if it should mention that the flat is not overcrowded etc?

Also provide a tenancy agreement of your husband. As it should just your husband's name on it. Also write a cover letter to explain like what you said is fine.

3. When filling in the application form on Section 5-Your home and finances, should I select Other and give the details that the property is rented by my husband with a permission to stay letter for myself? I don't think my case fit in other options (i.e. rented from local authority by you, owned or rented by a relative or friend).

rented by a relative, which is your husband.

Thank you in advance
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

iamwiew
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Council Flat

Post by iamwiew » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am

Thank you cyclina1 for your help.