ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Converting to BRP & Nearing 5 Years

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

siroc
Australia

Converting to BRP & Nearing 5 Years

Post by siroc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi all,

I currently hold a 5-year residence permit as a family member to an EEA national (wife). This is due to expire in February 2019.

I have recently been made redundant from my job and am a little concerned about proving my eligibility to work going forward.

Firstly, my permit is in my expired Australian passport which I have always presented together with my current Australian passport. This has never been an issue at immigration, however I received, and I stress, unconfirmed word from a recruiter today that there would be new legislation coming in next month that requires a residence permit to be in a currently valid document for it to satisfy right to work checks. Is there any truth to this? Google did not assist me on this front. On that note, I understand I could apply for a BRP (under TOC) but I heard this takes around 60 days and I need to be able to show my residence permit at this time as I'm looking for work.

Secondly, I'm conscious that my residence permit is due to expire in 10 months. I'm curious to hear how people managed to navigate this issue with potential employers to allay their concerns about you becoming 'suddenly illegal'? That is, to satisfy them that youre eligible to apply for PR after that point in time?

Many thanks.