ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

muraenidae

Child passport

Post by muraenidae » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 pm

My husband and daughter applied for citizenship jointly. My husband has to attend a citizenship ceremony, but our daughter doesn't as she's under 18.

Two questions:

1) From which date will my daughter be "officially British"? Is it from the date of approval?

2) When will she get her passport? Will it be sent together with my husband's passport after he had his ceremony, or will she get it earlier, as she'll be British slightly sooner?

PS: I should mention, our daughter was born in the UK and we are permanent residents. So her citizenship claim does not depend on my husband naturalising. She has the right already, whether or not he is naturalised.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Re: Child passport

Post by Hstepper07 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:56 pm

If your daughter was born here , I would assume that it was after you acquired settled status which meant that she had to register as a BC. She will be British on the date that her application is approved. If you applied for her passport she will get it when they have processed it. Can't say if it is earlier or together with yours.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 pm

muraenidae wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 pm
1) From which date will my daughter be "officially British"? Is it from the date of approval?
As she applied for citizenship, I presume that she was born before your husband and you acquired permanent residence. Have you received her registration certificate? She would be a British citizen from the date of her registration certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

muraenidae

Post by muraenidae » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 am

She was born in the UK before we had permanent residence. We have not received a registration certificate (or an approval letter for my husband's naturalisation - but I do not expect any trouble with the application). Just wondering whether her passport will come together with my husband's passport after he's had his ceremony, or if she'll get hers earlier as she doesn't need to attend a ceremony.