ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with passport in married name and IRL in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amb7911
Newly Registered
Australia

Travelling with passport in married name and IRL in maiden name

Post by Amb7911 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi!

Hoping someone might have experience with this and can help.

I’m currently in the process of applying for citizenship from IRL. So I can do this in my married name I have changed my passport to married name but IRL is a sticker in my old passport in my maiden name.

Can I travel with this and my marriage certificate? Will I be allowed re-entry?

Thanks!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling with passport in married name and IRL in maiden name

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 am

What is IRL ?? Do you mean ILR ??! :?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Amb7911
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Amb7911 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 am

Yes. Sorry ILR. Late and stressing about it... 😫

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 am

The question is how would you board the plane with the ticket being in a different name ??
If your name has officially changed, you must apply for a BRP with your new name as shown in the passport. You said you are applying for the British citizenship so I assume you do not want to get a BRP and pay the extra cost but the traveling issue with old sticker might be risky.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:27 pm

zimba88 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 am
The question is how would you board the plane with the ticket being in a different name ??
If your name has officially changed, you must apply for a BRP with your new name as shown in the passport.
Surely the issue is merely how to show that the two passports relate to the same person. Would not a marriage certificate achieve that?

Now, if the OP had a BRP in her married name, then she would be legally obliged to obtain a BRP in the name on her new passport.

Amb7911
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Amb7911 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Thanks Richard. This is what I’m hoping. Just haven’t found anyone with a similar situation or been able to get a clear guide from them so far.

My application for citizenship goes in next week. Hoping I’m not UK constrained for the summer. Might feel more comfortable trying it when I have my acknowledgement letter from the Home Office to add to my passports and marriage certificate.

Will keep this updated with my experience.

JacintaT
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by JacintaT » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:23 am

Did you ever find out if you could travel in this situation?

I am about to apply for UK citizenship in my married name, but am leaving my BRP in my maiden name as there's no point shelling out over £200 for something that will prevent me from applying for citizenship until it's returned! (for who knows how long)...

Thanks!

Amb7911
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Amb7911 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Yes, I did. And this was exactly my situation! As changing the BRP would delay it as well. I applied online and used DRS and joint passport application and my approval came through in 7 weeks.

But as a back up I spoke with the Home Office and you can travel with your passport in your married name and maiden name on your residence permit, you just need to travel with your marriage certificate as well.

Of course any plane ticket should be in the name on your passport but while your citizenship is being processed you can travel take your marriage certificate as proof of the link between the two.

JacintaT
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by JacintaT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks so much, this is really helpful! Can't find anything on the official pages for this situation, so it's great you managed to get something out of them to confirm it was okay :)

I'll take my marriage certificate with me and hopefully it'll be fine!

Maggiec3
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Maggiec3 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi, did this end up working for you? I changed my passport to my new married name back in November, and only now remembered to apply to change the name on my BRP. We have a holiday next month and I’m stressing about travelling internationally with the BRP in my maiden name and my passport in my married name. Will travelling with my marriage certificate be the solution? Thanks 😀

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 am

Yes. Travelling with your marriage certificate is the solution.