ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the uk test name change/ ILR Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marcus12a
Newly Registered

Life in the uk test name change/ ILR Application

Post by marcus12a » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi everyone

I couldn't seem to find any topics around this and hope you guys can help.

My wife is currently on an extended leave to remain which is due to renew in May 2019.

Since we got married we did not change her surname so she still has her fathers surname on passport etc and here in uk with banks driving license etc etc.

Her passport has now expired and she is from Pakistan, the emabassy have said that this passport can not be renewed because she has been married and her ID Card and Passport needs to be changed to her married name (ID Card, its pakistans nicop card).

My question is by me changing her name now to my surname, will this affect her life in the uk test that she has already passed?

When i come to apply next year will this be accepted since the surname will now be mine and not her fathers name?

I was thinking if i've not confused you guys with the above,

If I were not to renew the pakistani passport untill her ILR is due in May next year and then do it all at once.

So prior to applying for her ILR, I will then change names or after ILR has been granted hopefully change names then?

If I did do it that way she will still be with an expired passport and this expired in May 2017?

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: Life in the uk test name change/ ILR Application

Post by tier21419 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:14 pm

I don't think there is a hard requirement to change wife's surname as husband name. Its someone own decision to change it or not. I think the embassy is just complicating things, maybe to make more money as it will cost more to change everything (e.g. passport, nicop, etc), rather than just passport. Can you some how convince embassy that you don't want this, and would like to keep the same name?

I think changing name will invalidate her LIUK. But experts can comment on this and on your other question.

marcus12a
Newly Registered

Post by marcus12a » Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Pakistan embassy basically said there is no way round it, if your married your wife will need a new nicop (national identity card) that shows her married name and husbands details like name etc before being able to apply for a renewal or even a new passport..

Since this post I have got her nicop card now that has my surname but the passport has not been renewed yet.

I rang the UKBA on 2 separate occasions and explained my wifes passport has expired and her surname will be changed to mine on the new passport will this affect the life in uk test she has already passed.

They explained that as long as you give the marriage certificate also showing wifes previous surname and covering letter that should be fine.

I am not totally convinced because I dont want to wait till May next year and apply and it turns out that it't not valid, I personally think it would be rather pathetic if that was the case.

One other thing hope someone could clarify.

Rather than me apply for her new passport with the name change now and then changing BRP paying £230ish just to change name, I was thinking appying for her passport in around Feb/March next year and then I have 3 months as it states on gov site to make changes to BRP, at that point I will be applying for ILR anyway..

Any advice?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed May 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Simply apply for 'Enrol a deed poll' to legally change her surname in the UK. Supply a copy with the documents and you should be fine.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

adilzia
Member of Standing

Post by adilzia » Wed May 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Advice given by embasy is wrong
Or you misunderstood

I have gone through the same situation

Basically you dont need to change your wife name.

All you need to do is to update nadra system by telling them that you both are married.
Your wife needs to apply new nicop which shows husband name seprately.
When your wife gets her new nicop then she needs to apply new passport.
New passport will show her same name but in the husband name section will show ur name.

adilzia
Member of Standing

Post by adilzia » Wed May 30, 2018 11:35 pm

You can apply online yourself for nicop and passport
No need to go to embassy.