ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IHS or NHS care for infant child of Tier 2 visa holder

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ktyagi
India

IHS or NHS care for infant child of Tier 2 visa holder

Post by ktyagi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:42 pm

Hello all,

I am an Indian national living and working in the UK on Tier 2 general visa. My baby boy was born in January and today just got my son's birth registered at the High Commission of India in order to get his passport soon. While there waiting for my turn to submit the application documents, a very helpful but anxious looking guy came across and asked me if I have read and understood about NHS care for the new born babies of foreigners living in the UK on tier 2 or tier 4 visas - apparently parents paying the IHS only allows first three months of free NHS care to the infant.

After coming home I did some google-ing and found this "If you have paid the IHS, your baby will also be exempt from charges until s/he is three months’ old. After this time, your baby will be assessed in his/her own right for exemption or liability for NHS healthcare charges. For more information about healthcare charges for children, see the organisations listed below." from this link
https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/advi ... om-abroad/

I know this link is neither from NHS or UKVI, but maternity action is a legit organisation. If what they say is true, I am quite confused as to what it means. Is my 4 months old son eligible for free NHS health care or not, if not then how can I get him covered by paying his IHS?

(Just to add, my tier 2 visa is due to expire in August, and I will be applying then for an extension along with visas for my wife and son in June and with the new visa situation will be resolved after August)

vinny

Re: IHS or NHS care for infant child of Tier 2 visa holder

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 am

"If you have paid the IHS, your baby will also be exempt from charges until s/he is three months’ old. After this time, your baby will be assessed in his/her own right for exemption or liability for NHS healthcare charges. For more information about healthcare charges for children, see the organisations listed below."
I believe that "you" refers to the parent, not the baby. If the parent has paid the IHS for the parent, then the baby may cease to be exempt from National Health charges after three months. However, it's not exactly to me as to clear why this should be the case.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Exactly! I do not see why this would be the case, and to be honest seems a bit brutal to charge for healthcare of infants if their parents have paid for IHS. But, I wont be too surprised given the 'hostile environment' for immigrants. Well keeping my political opinion aside, even if this is the case, I wouldn't mind paying as long as I can find out how IHS can be paid for a newborn before his visa is applied for!

vamsi96
Newly Registered
India

Post by vamsi96 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm

NHS will continue to provide health care for your newborn. There is nothing you need to do or pay.
If you extend your visa and want to apply for a visa for your newborn then you need to pay IHS surcharge.
Hope this helps.

Gopal123
Newly Registered
India

Post by Gopal123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:52 am

ktyagi wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm
Exactly! I do not see why this would be the case, and to be honest seems a bit brutal to charge for healthcare of infants if their parents have paid for IHS. But, I wont be too surprised given the 'hostile environment' for immigrants. Well keeping my political opinion aside, even if this is the case, I wouldn't mind paying as long as I can find out how IHS can be paid for a newborn before his visa is applied for!
Hi ktyagi,

I am in a same situation. Did you pay IHS fee for your baby? If yes, how did you pay?

Please respond.
Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:38 am

Gopal123 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:52 am
ktyagi wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm
Hi ktyagi,

I am in a same situation. Did you pay IHS fee for your baby? If yes, how did you pay?

Please respond.
Thanks in advance
Kindly refrain from digging up old topics and tagging on.

Start your own topic with your circumstances and questions.

You cannot pay Ihs on its own without applying for a visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.