ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

JCAP appointment refused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

query1979
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

JCAP appointment refused

Post by query1979 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi,
Any help would be much appreciated. We asked for a joint citizenship and passport application [JCAP) appointment but was advised to go for NCS appointment instead. My wife’s Indian passport is in her maiden name and so is her ILR card. All her supporting documents and LIUK test are in married name but she has her marriage certificate to prove her change of name. We don’t mind getting the British passport in her maiden name if that makes things easier for all and change her name after into her married surname.

What should we do? it is rather confusing, as it is a catch 22 for us. If we wait till after naturalisation, then Indian passport name can’t be changed to married name and if we don’t the British passport office might refuse to issue passport. India doesn’t give dual citizenship, so essentially her passport will be invalid after.

Why is there an issue with giving us JCAP appointment if her identity can be proven with supporting documents?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: JCAP appointment refused

Post by CR001 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:20 pm

She will get a British passport and her naturalisation in her maiden name as it appears in her Indian passport. If you want her married name on the documents, you need to change her Indian passport first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

query1979
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by query1979 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks. So can she ask for JCAP NDRS appointment in her Indian passport name, even if her supporting documents are in married name?
Last edited by query1979 on Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Yes, should be fine but her citizenship and passport will be issued in her maiden name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

query1979
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by query1979 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm

The person over the phone at Edinburgh city council quoted the below and told my wife that the JCAP appointment can’t be given if her passport has her maiden name and the card she was paying the fee with for the appointment has my wife’smarried name.

“Applying for a British passport
You can apply for a British passport at the same time as submitting your documents through the nationality document return service. You can do this if:

you are applying online for citizenship
you are using the nationality document return service
your personal details match your identification and your citizenship passport application forms”
Last edited by query1979 on Thu May 10, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Nonsense. It is about the details in the form matching the details of your passport, that is what HO is concerned about.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

query1979
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by query1979 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Thank you so much. Will mention that this time.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:47 pm

If your spouse was paying, it would not be an issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)