ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visa for Mother-In-Law

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yasir152
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Visitor Visa for Mother-In-Law

Post by yasir152 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi

Just wanted some advice on chances of a visitor Visa for my mother-in-law from Pakistan. My brother and his wife live in the UK and are expecting their first child in a few months' time. My brother-in-law has not got permanent residency yet so can't sponsor her and I would like to sponsor her and support her financially.
Can I sponsor my mother-in-law to visit here on the basis that she will be looking after her grandchild and daughter-in-law? We have applied for her in the past and have been unsuccessful. On both occasions the refusal was due to not having adequate ties with her home country as all her children live abroad.
Would it improve her chances if she applied on the basis that she is seeing her children and soon to be grandchild?

Thanks

Faheems1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Visitor Visa for Mother-In-Law

Post by Faheems1 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Very very slim chances. Unless her circumstances change over there showing stronger than ever ties. and by the way whether she visited other countries, I don't think the chances will be better due to a newborn grandchild

yasir152
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by yasir152 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank you for the advice. Just a shame they have become so strict with granting even a 6 month visit visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 13, 2018 5:35 pm

yasir152 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 pm
Thank you for the advice. Just a shame they have become so strict with granting even a 6 month visit visa.
Due in part to the abuse by 'visitors' deciding not to leave the UK when their visa expires and the fact that the route to settlement for Adult Dependent Relatives has been virtually closed since the Immigration Rules were tightened in July 2012. :idea:

Genuine visitors have become the innocent victims.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

yasir152
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by yasir152 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:35 pm
yasir152 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 pm
Due in part to the abuse by 'visitors' deciding not to leave the UK when their visa expires and the fact that the route to settlement for Adult Dependent Relatives has been virtually closed since the Immigration Rules were tightened in July 2012. :idea:

Genuine visitors have become the innocent victims.
Yes we thought about the settlememt route as she is over 65 but as she doesn't meet the requirements of the new stringent rules placed in 2012 e.g she doesn't have any long term illness, we thought a short term visa was the only viable option. We've been unsuccessful twice and even had a letter of support from our local MP on our last application but they still refused. Which is why I thought perhaps they may give on the basis of a grandchild but I guess they are not so sympathetic.