ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General Visa Extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amitfalana
India

Tier 2 General Visa Extension

Post by amitfalana » Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Hello All,
My current Tier 2 General visa expires end of October after a 3 years period. I wish to extend it for another 3 years and have the following questions:
1. How early can I start the renewal process - 3 months, 6 months, etc
2. I have read on a few posts that the passport and old BRP is returned soon (~1 week) after they receive the application through post. Is that true? Is it okay if I need to travel international during the visa processing time, i.e. once I receive the documents (passport + old BRP) back, but haven't received the new BRP?

~aD

Shahno
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 General Visa Extension

Post by Shahno » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 pm

amitfalana wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm
Hello All,
My current Tier 2 General visa expires end of October after a 3 years period. I wish to extend it for another 3 years and have the following questions:
1. How early can I start the renewal process - 3 months, 6 months, etc this paragraph is mentioned in the tier 2 policy guidance page 48 "You must apply within 3 months from the date your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned. You must also apply no more than 3 months before the start date on your Certificate of Sponsorship. If this is not possible, you should contact your sponsor", also wait for one of the experienced moderators can confirm as well. However this paragraph is from the sponsors policy guidance page 171 "When you assign a CoS to extend a migrant’s leave in the same tier and category, the start date on the CoS should be the day after their current leave expires but the migrant cannot apply for leave more than 3 months before that date." Any experienced moderator can confirm as well.

2. I have read on a few posts that the passport and old BRP is returned soon (~1 week) after they receive the application through post. Is that true? Is it okay if I need to travel international during the visa processing time, i.e. once I receive the documents (passport + old BRP) back, but haven't received the new BRP? You don't get the old BRP, it will be held by the home office and destroyed if you're application is approved as you will get a new one. It's not usually quick as you may think it depends. We applied when my husband changed his employer in 2015 and we got the BRP letter after one week of submitting the application and received the decision letter a week later along with the BRPs. This year w just extended our visa and it took the home office 5 weeks to send the documents and passports back along with the decision letter. So you'd never know how long they will take. My advice is not to make any travel arrangements until you have you're new BRP as it is what will allow you to enter the country from abroad. In fact, in whichever country you're coming to the UK from they will not allow you to board the flight until they see you have a valid visa to enter the UK!

~aD

amitfalana
India

Re: Tier 2 General Visa Extension

Post by amitfalana » Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks Shahno. I had the same knowledge of not receiving the BRP... But as per few posts I have read on the forum (uk-tier-2-employer-sponsored-visas/tier ... 45589.html) and talking to a few friends the HMRC has changed the process. They send the passport and old BRP back immediately. Although I need some of the moderators to confirm this.