ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen - Want to bring non EEA (Filipino) Partner to ireland after next year

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Love111
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Citizen - Want to bring non EEA (Filipino) Partner to ireland after next year

Post by Love111 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello guys and gals. I am a British Citizen who runs my own writing business ,on a freelance basis.

I have been living in the Philippines with my Filipino partner (Gay) for a while now. I have a writing limited company set up in the UK, but i wanted to set up the limited company in ireland and transfer it over, no problems there.

My problem is that I wanted to bring my partner back to the UK, but we do not meet the income requirement, so i was looking at maybe living in Ireland for good as I like it over there.

As a British Citizen, what would be the process and requirements for me to bring him to Ireland? I would be supporting us until he can get his application approved for a job. We have about £10k in savings and my business income is enough to pay rent and living costs for us both, it is remote work and this is how I have been supporting myself in the Philippines, he has a call center job.

Are there any caveats to this process I am not aware of? Will brexit cause any problems with the common travel area arrangement that gives me the right to be treated almost like an irish citizen regarding my rights in this area?

We are looking for a long term move to Ireland with a goal to both attaining Irish citizenship in a few years. Our relationship has been going around a year now, although we were friends over a year before that. What would be our process? We are not looking to use the SS route to get into the UK, but set up in ireland for good.

We are engaged to be married but not yet married. Is that a requirement also?

I know the UK system like a book but not familiar with the irish system.

I hope you are all well!

Jacob

gina1234
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: British Citizen - Want to bring non EEA (Filipino) Partner to ireland after next year

Post by gina1234 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm in a similar situation myself atm. From the research I've done so far into Irish immigration, if you're a British citizen you can exercise your Eu rights which allows you to bring your non EU partner to Ireland on a residency card. I think process is really simple if you're already married so I would get married first tbh. This link has some really useful information about it:

https://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/rights/ ... n#header-2

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: British Citizen - Want to bring non EEA (Filipino) Partner to ireland after next year

Post by max307 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Love111 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Hello guys and gals. I am a British Citizen who runs my own writing business ,on a freelance basis.

I have been living in the Philippines with my Filipino partner (Gay) for a while now. I have a writing limited company set up in the UK, but i wanted to set up the limited company in ireland and transfer it over, no problems there.

My problem is that I wanted to bring my partner back to the UK, but we do not meet the income requirement, so i was looking at maybe living in Ireland for good as I like it over there.

As a British Citizen, what would be the process and requirements for me to bring him to Ireland? I would be supporting us until he can get his application approved for a job. We have about £10k in savings and my business income is enough to pay rent and living costs for us both, it is remote work and this is how I have been supporting myself in the Philippines, he has a call center job.

Are there any caveats to this process I am not aware of? Will brexit cause any problems with the common travel area arrangement that gives me the right to be treated almost like an irish citizen regarding my rights in this area?

We are looking for a long term move to Ireland with a goal to both attaining Irish citizenship in a few years. Our relationship has been going around a year now, although we were friends over a year before that. What would be our process? We are not looking to use the SS route to get into the UK, but set up in ireland for good.

We are engaged to be married but not yet married. Is that a requirement also?

I know the UK system like a book but not familiar with the irish system.

I hope you are all well!

Jacob
I will leave Brexit aside for simplicity reasons, your two options are listed below:

1 - Assuming that you and your Filipino partner have been living together for the past 2 year and do no intend to get legally married, you could apply for a De Facto Partnership immigration permission in Ireland - http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/De ... ationships

2 - Assuming that you and your Filipino partner decide to get legally married you could apply for EU Treaty Rights - http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU+Treaty+Rights

Now the tricky part, Brexit! :?

The UK will leave the EU in about 3 months, even if your De Facto Partnership/EU Treaty Rights application is the fastest to be processed it won't be approved before March 2019 assuming you apply today. I assume that once an application is lodged INIS will process it even if the law changes but technically you won't be an EU citizen anymore after March 2019.

What are the rights of UK citizens and their non-EU partners in the EU (including Ireland) after Brexit? No one knows. It's not clear if UK citizens will be able to move freely within the EU after March 2019, let alone non-EU partners of UK citizens.

There is too much uncertainty around Brexit so hard to tell what the outcome will be.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.