ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK fiancee visa - how long does it remain valid to use?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

boyfarrell
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK fiancee visa - how long does it remain valid to use?

Post by boyfarrell » Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 am

Hello board,

Say the visa, is dated 1 January, when does the 6 months validity period start?
The day I enter the UK?
The date the visa is dated?

How long does the visa remain valid *before* I travel? For example, can I enter the on 1 March and then start the 6 months validity period of the visa from then?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: UK fiancee visa - how long does it remain valid to use?

Post by Casa » Sun May 20, 2018 11:48 am

boyfarrell wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 am
Hello board,

Say the visa, is dated 1 January, when does the 6 months validity period start?
The day I enter the UK?
The date the visa is dated? This one.

How long does the visa remain valid *before* I travel? For example, can I enter the on 1 March and then start the 6 months validity period of the visa from then? No, see above.
You also need to bear in mind that you must marry within 6 months of the visa issue date and submit your FLR(M) spouse visa application before the visa expiry date. :idea: :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

boyfarrell
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by boyfarrell » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Thank you so much! That is very helpful!

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dillonuw » Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Once the wedding\ceremony has been performed and the two are married\partnered, does the foreign partner then need to pay an additional £1,033\£1,643 for FLR(M) or is there a way to simply switch from fiancé to FLR(M)? Some of the language in the final paragraph of https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa make it seem as though you can simply visit a center and get it switched over...

TanJL
United Kingdom

Post by TanJL » Mon May 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Very wishful thinking dillonuw.
The word "switch" might sound simple but it means you are switching from one type of visa to another.
Applying for FLR(M) after the fiance visa means you are basically making a whole new application, which requires you to pay the visa fee, IHS fee, complete the application form & provide the supporting documents.
Many of the questions will mirror exactly what you proved for the fiance visa but you still have to prove it all again, updating the information and documentation as necessary.

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dillonuw » Mon May 21, 2018 1:06 pm

I figured. :(

Some of the language on the family visas section of gov.uk makes the entire process seem like a breeze. When it comes to fiancé/fianceé visas especially, there is very little information on the visa itself and little to no information about what to do once you actually get it. Oh well.