ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Test question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Abby32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

English Language Test question

Post by Abby32 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 am

Hi,

Am i wrong in thinking that Home office guideline says that, You can use a B1 level qualification taken more than 2 years ago if you are applying for citizenship and the qualification was accepted when you settled in the UK.

I am confused as i received a letter today from the home office today regarding my citizenship application i made in February, requesting an acceptable English Language qualiffication, stating the one i provided is not acceptable as it is over 2years old. I submited a B1 SELT Grade 5 qualification taken in June 2015, the same was used for my settlement application in October 2015.

I am still studying at degree level, so I have to re-sit the exam, which doesn't bother me. what bothers me is that the fact that the letter only gives me 10 days and i need my identification documents back from the home office to sit the exam, not enough time. Would it be acceptable to write to the home office explaining the reason for my oversight and ask for the grace period to be extended to allow return of my documents, sitting of exam and sending the qualification to them. I'll hate to lose the application fees over this. In the mean time i have already requested the document back.

I would appreciate advice from the board gurus and folks who have been in the same boat.

Many thanks

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Test question

Post by dontringthebell » Mon May 21, 2018 1:48 pm

as per the following link, you can use 2-year-old test if you used the same for your settlement application.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

Abby32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Abby32 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Thank you for your response.

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:14 pm

According to UKVI policy and guidelines, your expired English language test should be accepted as you do meet the English language requirements.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Try and explain your situation to HO and also refer them to the link. Maybe you have a new caseworker that is not clued up

Abby32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Abby32 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am

Thank you all for your replies, they are greatly appreciated. I wrote to the case worker the day I received the letter, using next day delivery including a copy of the test result again and life in UK test, stating that they have the original and that since the same result was accepted for settlement it should be accepted for citizenship, irrespective of its validity.

Fingers crossed, I'll update once i hear back from HO.

Abby32
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Abby32 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am

Hi there,

I received my Passport and biometric that i requested back today. I don't know whether to enrol for and sit another B1 english exam, the earliest exam i can book is the 29th of May. I don't want to waste £150 if it's going to be granted since the now expired B1 test result was accepted for settlement in 2015 and should be accepted for Citizenship, but i don't want to waste the application money either. Deadline for submitting a new test result is 30th of May, although i have asked for an extension in writing to allow me more time.

Should I wait.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 pm

If you've not heard as of today kindly call them on Tuesday!
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:18 am

Hi Abby32 ,

Did you received any reply from UKVI regarding your expired English language test ? Has it been accepted or not ? Or did you pass new English language test ? Please update here once received outcome ... I am also in same situation thinking to use expired test ...many thanks

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi Abby32 ,
Any update from UKVI regarding your expired English language test whether it has been accepted or not ?

cambs68
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by cambs68 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:02 am

Can you please give us an update on your case? What has happened.?? I am in the same boat as you were but took the exam within 3 days of the letter and sent the provisional result with a cover letter and the original certificate will be sent by the Trinity college in 7 days (directly to the case worker) , just before or on the deadline day .

Fingers crossed hopefully I won't face any issues

Please let us know what has happened in your case.

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:14 am

Abby32 and Cambs68 , Any update about your application decision ?