ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ancestral visa/passports-Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

handrevlok
Newly Registered

Ancestral visa/passports-Germany

Post by handrevlok » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:37 am

Hi, I’m a South African citizen. I want to know if you can help me in giving me more information on ancestral visa/passports for Germany. My grandparents was originally from Germany and I wondered if I can get a ancestral visa and how it works.

Thank you
Handre :?:

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:32 am

Germany doesn't have the equivalent of the UK's ancestry visa, so that term does not apply at all. You're either a German citizen or you're not.

Check here for more information: http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/a ... nship.html

This would appear to be the most important paragraph for you:

As the law now stands, a child becomes a German citizen automatically upon birth if at least one parent is a German citizen. A child born in wedlock after January 1, 1975, is German if either parent was a citizen at the time of the child's birth. Children born before January 1, 1975, received German citizenship only if the father was a German citizen at the time of the child's birth. A child born to a German mother and foreign father before 1975 became German only if the mother requested German citizenship for the child before December 31, 1977. A child born out of wedlock to a German mother is German. If only the father is German, the child may receive German citizenship if the father acknowledges paternity before the child turns 23 or if the father acknowledges paternity and marries the mother. A child adopted by a German citizen becomes a German if the child is under 18. No changes have been made to these provisions under the new citizenship law.

So the questions are (1) when were you born and (2) is it your father's or mother's parents who are German-born and (3) were your parents married at the time of your birth?

Viel Glück!

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:56 am

There's a couple of threads in this forum that have good info & resources in them on this topic.

This is one from last summer taht will probably yeild some important comments:

-> Europe immigration forum -> dual citizenship, American with German mother - help please!

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom