ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NATURALISATION FROM INDEFINITE LEAVE TO ENTER

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sahoong
Newly Registered

NATURALISATION FROM INDEFINITE LEAVE TO ENTER

Post by sahoong » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello,

I have 2 daughters who just entered on Settlement visa with Indefinite Leave to Enter. One is 12 and the other is 18. How long can they have to stay on this visa before they can naturalise?

Also, I signed an SU Form form them while making their applications. Does it mean that I can't claim child benefit and tax credit for the younger one who is 12 years old?

Please, advice.

Thank you.

Sahoong.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NATURALISATION FROM INDEFINITE LEAVE TO ENTER

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I have 2 daughters who just entered on Settlement visa with Indefinite Leave to Enter. One is 12 and the other is 18. How long can they have to stay on this visa before they can naturalise?
2 years for the 12 year old and 5 years for the 18 year old who will also require English B1 and LIUK.
Also, I signed an SU Form form them while making their applications. Does it mean that I can't claim child benefit and tax credit for the younger one who is 12 years old?
You have already asked this question in the Claiming Benefits sub forum, which is the correct place to ask the question and not in this sub forum. Please wait for someone to respond to your question there.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 pm
2 years for the 12 year old
What is the UK immigration status of the other parent of the 12 year old? Or do you have legal sole responsibility for the child?

The 18 year old will need to meet all the usual requirements of naturalisation, such as being physically present in the UK at the start of the five year period immediately preceding the date of application of naturalisation, and having an absence of no more than 450 days in those five years, meet the Life in the UK test and English language requirements, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sahoong
Newly Registered

Post by sahoong » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Their mum has indefinite leave to remain but it is my own name that is append on their visas not their mum’s. Their mum is qualified for naturalisation but she just hasn’t apply. Can their mum claim benefit for them even though I am the one that signed the SU form?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:53 pm

sahoong wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 pm
Their mum has indefinite leave to remain but it is my own name that is append on their visas not their mum’s. Their mum is qualified for naturalisation but she just hasn’t apply. Can their mum claim benefit for them even though I am the one that signed the SU form?

Thank you.
Kindly desist from asking benefit questions in this topic about British citizenship as already asked!!!
CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 pm
You have already asked this question in the Claiming Benefits sub forum, which is the correct place to ask the question and not in this sub forum. Please wait for someone to respond to your question there.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sahoong
Newly Registered

Post by sahoong » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:05 pm

I simply replied to the question asked. Someone asked the status of their mum.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 pm

sahoong wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:05 pm
I simply replied to the question asked. Someone asked the status of their mum.
Asking the status of their mum is not relevant to your question asking about benefits.

The status of the mum is relevant to weather the younger child can register as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 pm

So long as one parent is a British citizen and the other parent has ILR, and subject to the good character requirements being met, the 12 year old daughter should be able to register as a British citizen with Form MN1 after two years of residence in the UK.

The 18 year old, as mentioned earlier, will need to meet all the requirements for naturalisation as an adult.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.