ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after Nationality Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lahori
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Travel after Nationality Ceremony

Post by Lahori » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Gurus

I had applied through JCAP service for nationality and my ceremony is booked on 17th July 2018.

I intend to travel on 26th July 2018

Considering I shall only have Nationality certificate as my ILR card would already been gone to UKBA after ceremony , can I travel based on Nationality certificate? Or should I need to wait for my Passport to arrive?

If later is the case, how long does it take for Passport to arrive after nationality ceremony?

Kindly guide.

Regards

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: Travel after Nationality Ceremony

Post by plabo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am

You cannot travel on your nationality certificate. You can exit the UK but immigration authorities will NOT allow you to board the return flight.

I am sure the council must have told you at the ceremony that it can take upto 20 working days following the ceremony to get your UK passport (provided the council informs the HO promptly of you attending the ceremony) and also the HMPO then swifts through your application's examination process and sends the passport for printing and then dispatch by DX courier.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:58 am

plabo wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am
immigration authorities will NOT allow you to board the return flight.
Not sure about immigration authorities, but the airline desk may refuse you to go any further.
Lahori wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

...my ILR card would already been gone to UKBA after ceremony
Either change the date of your departure or do not return your ILR card to UKV&I and risk the fine. As an aside, I have not yet come across anybody on these forums who has been fined £1000 for failing to return the BRP.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:25 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:58 am
plabo wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am
immigration authorities will NOT allow you to board the return flight.
Not sure about immigration authorities, but the airline desk may refuse you to go any further.
Lahori wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

...my ILR card would already been gone to UKBA after ceremony
Either change the date of your departure or do not return your ILR card to UKV&I and risk the fine. As an aside, I have not yet come across anybody on these forums who has been fined £1000 for failing to return the BRP.
Quite a risk really on arriving back and negotiating with the UKBA showing your ILR (where infact you are a citizen now). Get ready to answer a lotnof questions if you do things this way.

mysterylady11
United Kingdom

Post by mysterylady11 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 am

My ceremony was on the 11th of May and I travelled on the 16th of May! My indefinite leave to remain is in my Jamaican passport . I didn’t have time to do my British passport and when I was coming back I didn’t have any trouble, I did bring my certificate though. But am not sure about your ILR card as mine ILR is in my passport.