ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancé visa - Tenancy agreement validity time? Is it an issue?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Thelugi
Spain

Fiancé visa - Help with suitable "intention to marry" evidence

Post by Thelugi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

Hello!

I have a question about the evidence that needs to be submitted for a fiancé visa.
I’ll try to keep it short, but some background is always helpful and even necessary in these cases… so here we go:
My partner (Indian) and I (Spanish, with settled status in UK) are in the process of applying for a fiancé visa for him to come here to UK and so that we can finally get married and start our lives together. We are still gathering all the necessary documents that we need to submit along with the application form.

The section we’re now struggling with is the “proof of intention to marry”. For this, we already have:
• Statement letters from each of us, stating that we are both single (never been married before), adults who wish to marry one another.
• Statement letters from our parents saying that they have each met our respective partners and are happy about our union.

Now: I wanted to also include some evidence that I have been in touch with my local Registry Office enquiring about wedding booking, so I emailed them yesterday just asking a few questions about the process (as our case is slightly complex). I did this in hopes that someone would respond and I would get written evidence of my communication with them to use that as another proof of intention to marry…BUT, instead of a written response, I got a call from them, and we spoke for almost half an hour because I was really not sure that the information I was being told was right.
Basically, the lady wanted a bit more information on our case so that she could answer my questions, but when I asked her if she could please respond to my email so that I could have the communication in writing, she was adamant that the email trace between us (me and the council) wouldn’t carry any weight or substance to prove our intention to marry AND that what I had to do was think of a wedding date (hypothetically accounting for all the waiting times that we have ahead, like visa submission, processing time, coming to UK, waiting the necessary period to give notice, etc) and straight away book the marriage ceremony so that I can get an email confirmation and use that as my proof. I was quite sceptical about this because it’s basically skipping steps… (How can I book this without my partner even having a visa? Without him even being in the UK? Before even giving notice?).
This didn’t seem right to me, so I have been doing some more digging this morning and rightly so, I have found the following in https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rangements :
18. SET1.18 What evidence is required of marriage arrangements?
The ECO needs to be satisfied that it is intended that a marriage in the UK will take place.
The law relating to marriage in England and Wales does not allow for any arrangements to be made with a Registrar until the foreign national has arrived in the UK. Of itself, a booking at a Register Office or church is not proof that a marriage will take place.
The ECO can reasonably expect the couple to have made some tentative plans for the wedding. Any evidence that may be available that wedding arrangements are in hand may help in this respect
.”

It seems to me that the lady from the council may have given me some wrong information. At least I managed to convince her to write back to me at least to say that we had spoken on the phone, so I have an email trace for that.
I guess, in light of this confusion, what I really want to ask is:

What evidence is best to submit for our intention to marry for the fiancé visa?

Bear in mind that my fiancé and I are not looking to have a big wedding, what we really want is just a small ceremony at the registry office and just to have a meal with our parents and immediate family somewhere, so I won’t be having the need to contact photographers and stuff like that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! Hope you can help us if you have any ideas/info/experience :)

Best wishes whatever your case may be.

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Fiancé visa - Help with suitable "intention to marry" evidence

Post by dillonuw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 pm

There is a question in the VA form that asks about the visa applicant's intentions when entering the UK. I used that box to briefly talk about our rough ceremony plans. (keyword: rough) Since I do not yet have a visa, I only mentioned the steps that we would take should I be approved. This includes plans to contact the local council and give notice, picking a venue, talking about who will be invited. I kept it brief though- I don't think they are looking for your life story in that box, just some indication that there are plans brewing.

In the supporting evidence for proof of relationship, my partner and I both included brief mentions of our future plans including ceremony plans in our covering letters. I also made sure to include annotated photos and travel records. If you have a receipt or invoice for engagement jewelry, it may be good to label and include that with supporting evidence as well. The idea was that if the caseworker sees our dating history going back five years, it would not be so far-fetched to believe that we are getting married too.

I just got the email saying that a visa decision has been made, so I am hoping for good news. Good luck to you both as well!

Thelugi
Spain

Re: Fiancé visa - Help with suitable "intention to marry" evidence

Post by Thelugi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi dillonuw,

Thanks a lot for your response (I know my post was lengthy). I am much more chilled now with what you've told me. Just to be on the safe side though, although we are not going to be having a lot of people at our wedding we might just put some quote requests for invites or something like that, just to show some paper evidence of plans (?). We are definitely working on a bit of a photo and story timeline of our relationship. But the receipt of the engagement ring is something I hadn't thought about...so good shout!

And sorry, I know that I don't know you or anything...but I'm so excited about your visa decision being made!! :o I really, really, hope it's good news!! Let me know if you can how it turns out!!

Thelugi
Spain

Fiancé visa - Tenancy agreement validity time? Is it an issue?

Post by Thelugi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:33 am

Hi all,

Hope you can help me with a quick question....
My fiancé and I are in the process of applying for a fiancé visa for him to come join me in UK.

For the proof of adequate accommodation, I am a tenant in a 1bedroom flat that is let managed by an agency. I have requested the necessary letters from the agency and the landlord about stating their awareness that my fiancé will be joining me. But my question is to do with the validity time of the tenancy agreement.
My current tenancy agreement is valid up until 31st December 2018. By then, I am hoping my fiancé will already be in the country (we are estimating that he will more or less be here from end of October onwards if everything goes ok) and we could look into starting a new tenancy in a different, slightly bigger apartment.

Now...I'm wondering, because we expect him to be coming by end of October / begging of November, whether my current tenancy ending just a few weeks away from that (end of December) will mess up the 'accommodation' section of his application? Especially since I can't line up a tenancy for another apartment starting in December18/Jan19 this much in advance...?

What do you guys think? Could this be a problem? If so, what advice would you give me regarding this?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts guys!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Fiancé visa - Tenancy agreement validity time? Is it an issue?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am

Thelugi wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:33 am
Hi all,

Hope you can help me with a quick question....
My fiancé and I are in the process of applying for a fiancé visa for him to come join me in UK.

For the proof of adequate accommodation, I am a tenant in a 1bedroom flat that is let managed by an agency. I have requested the necessary letters from the agency and the landlord about stating their awareness that my fiancé will be joining me. But my question is to do with the validity time of the tenancy agreement.
My current tenancy agreement is valid up until 31st December 2018. By then, I am hoping my fiancé will already be in the country (we are estimating that he will more or less be here from end of October onwards if everything goes ok) and we could look into starting a new tenancy in a different, slightly bigger apartment.

Now...I'm wondering, because we expect him to be coming by end of October / begging of November, whether my current tenancy ending just a few weeks away from that (end of December) will mess up the 'accommodation' section of his application? Especially since I can't line up a tenancy for another apartment starting in December18/Jan19 this much in advance...?

What do you guys think? Could this be a problem? If so, what advice would you give me regarding this?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts guys!
You are overthinking. It is fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Thelugi
Spain

Re: Fiancé visa - Tenancy agreement validity time? Is it an issue?

Post by Thelugi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am

Okay, okay :lol: ...thanks for the sanity check CR001!
It is indeed difficult not to go a little crazy with these applications. Cheers!

Thelugi
Spain

Re: Fiancé visa - How are supporting documents submitted?

Post by Thelugi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi there!

I have another question about this never ending fiancé visa...

When it comes to sending to Sheffield the application itself, and the supporting documents.. Some of the documents are with me in UK and others are with my fiancé in India:
Do we send two separate document parcels to Sheffield? Or is it better that I courier him my supporting documents so that my fiancé has all the documents with him and he can take them to the visa application centre when he books the biometrics appointment?

Hope someone can shed some light on my confusion :?: Thanks!

Thelugi
Spain

Are copies of the supporting documents needed?

Post by Thelugi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:28 am

Hi all!
I intend to send the supporting documents for my fiancé's visa application to Sheffield today. So it's a long shot to get a reply within the next few hours but I have to try.
When I applied for my PR, I had to send two bundles of supporting documents: 1 pile of originals and 1 pile of copies. My question is... is it the same with family visas?
When I arranged everything last night, there is no way at all that the 2 piles of documents can fit in a Royal Mail special delivery envelope, but I could fit 1, the originals.

Should I purchase a larger envelope (A3) and send original and copies or are only originals needed?

Thanks for any info guys! :)

(Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but I don't want to risk anything).