ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jobs in HR and admin : Inputs needed from all of u

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

smitakaranth
Newly Registered

Jobs in HR and admin : Inputs needed from all of u

Post by smitakaranth » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi All,

I have been in UK for last two months.I have been applying for jobs and have registered my CV in leading jobsites and with consultants.

I got 3 calls.They ask some details and told me that they wd call me back,But I haven't recieved any calls after that.

I am here on a dependant VISA with no UK experience.Is it mandatory to have UK exp for a new job here?

Can any1 gve me some inputs on the following:

Do dependants get a job in UK?
Are there any good ways for job search here other than what I have tried?
Can u suggest good jobsites/consultancies for HR/admin job search?

I would appreciate valuable inputs from all of u.

Thanks

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:34 pm

smita, it took my wife couple of months as well to get a job here in uk, she is also on dependent visa. I suppose you have experience in your previous jobs about HR you said. But if you want to have a break try in call centre, after wards you can change. I can give you the name of the agency if you wanna try.

smitakaranth
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by smitakaranth » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi herts:

Thanks for your reply.I have close to 3 yrs exp in HR/admin...but no luck as of nw...

Can you pls pass on the name of the agency and can u tell me as to did she take up any hr courses here?

It wd be helpful if u can pass me d info..
Thanks
Smita
herts wrote:smita, it took my wife couple of months as well to get a job here in uk, she is also on dependent visa. I suppose you have experience in your previous jobs about HR you said. But if you want to have a break try in call centre, after wards you can change. I can give you the name of the agency if you wanna try.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 pm

smita, I have pm you the name of the agency.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:47 am

My wife is also on dependent visa and she has been actively looking for jobs in UK for the past 3 months without luck. She has got 5 years procurement experience, and basically what I see is, for non high-skills jobs like HR, Admin, Procurement ... etc, it is very challenging to get a job here. Simply, for such jobs, why would UK recruiters choose to hire a foreigners and not local Brits? Probably if one is willing to get a lower pay? There have been few agents who told my wife "I am sorry to be honest with you, you do not have UK experience, it is hard for you to ask for 25k pounds job !!!". As if, the 5 years working experience in US MNC was a dream.

My wife, as of now, ended up working in Post Office WHSmith as sales assistant (part time!), sitting at the back of the till, performing routine jobs like sticking stamps, postages, and occasionally being shouted by some rude and impatient customers. I feel very sad with this situation, because if there is still no opportunity for her to get a permanent job, then it's probably my fault to have thought too well about UK ... life goes on.

vhsmpuk

Post by vhsmpuk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Hi All,

Intially even my wife had the same problems. Now she is into a contract job.
Go to the local recuruitement agencies and submit your resume and tell that you are looking for HR administrator jobs.

Keep on reminding them ... i hope this should work.

smitakaranth
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by smitakaranth » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.I too feel that getting a permanent job here is really tough.

I got few calls yday..They ask for UK degree/exp...Hw can we have UK exp if they dnt take us for vacancies!

Im wondering if all with UK experience /degree have jobs here...!!!

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:57 pm

well, its like chicken and egg situation...Uk exp :)....So basically u have to start from a low level and then work your way up the ladder...

If u see posts in the forum, u will find similar experience..so nothing new

Ashish

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm

To be honest and frank, roles like sales and hr which will involve lot of talking with people and representing the company british will prefer someone having british accent, although we can speak good english there are some roles which will always demand brit accent in a ...