ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asking potential employers about work permits

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marya.compton
Newly Registered

Asking potential employers about work permits

Post by marya.compton » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi there. This is my first post on the forum. I came to the UK from the US as a student 2 years ago; I am now here on the IGS visa. I have been seeking employment actively for the past 9 months. I can't even tell you how many interviews I've been to. No offers.

My question is this, when is it appropriate to ask potential employers about whether or not they are willing to fill out the work permit application on my behalf? I've been avoiding it at interviews but I'm starting to feel frustrated and a little desperate.

Anyone have suggestions?

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:54 am

I came across this scenario, when I was interviewing with UK companies while I was back there in my home country. Normally this is what happened:

a) During the first interview, they would potentially ask for your working status in UK. In that case, you can't lie but to tell the truth and saying that you do require the sponsorship of a work permit to work in UK. You can probably show your good attitude/knowledge during the interview so that the recruiters could consider the expense of work permit to hire you
b) If interviewers didn't ask by the end of first interview, you should confess this as not to waste your time and the interviewers time.

Being in this situation, be prepared that you might face a situation that you have to miss some better offer jobs and taking up others. I have come across one interviewer who showed interest but turned away after knowing my request of work permit sponsorship. Get a job first, then switch to tier 1 visa after a year, if you would like to opt for a better pay job. Good luck!