ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self-Employed Abroad - Which category?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pshbrittany
Newly Registered
United States of America

Self-Employed Abroad - Which category?

Post by pshbrittany » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:51 am

Hello everyone,

I was hoping I could get some advice about the financial requirements for leave to enter.

My partner (the sponsor) is working in Japan as an English teacher. He is technically self-employed. The company calls him an independent contractor. However, he doesn't run a business. He just submits a schedule to the school and they pay him for the classes he teaches. When we go to the UK, he has a job offer lined up as a salaried employee.

My questions are:

1. Should we apply under Category A or F? Our situation seems similar to case study D in section 5.2.3 on appendix 1.7, which mentions applying under Category A.

2. On form Appendix 2, there's no category to match the case study mentioned above. One option says "Income from salaried employment >>> overseas (with job offer in the UK)", but nothing mentions income from overseas self employment with job offer in the UK. Which category should we select on the form?

3. If we have to apply with a self-employment category, what documents do you think we should submit? He doesn't have many of the documents recommended in section 9 of appendix 1.7 that deals with self employment because he doesn't run a business. The most he can get are bank statements, invoices, and a Japanese tax return.

Thank you so much to anyway who offers help! I'd really appreciate any input.

pshbrittany
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Self-Employed Abroad - Which category?

Post by pshbrittany » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:05 am

Bumping in the hopes that more people will see this so I can get an answer!

Hope that's okay. I couldn't find any rules against bumping.