ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I need help with my situation for an Irish work permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Newly Registered

I need help with my situation for an Irish work permit

Post by 8888 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi Can someone please provide me with some advice or even point me in the right direction.

I am an Australian national I am 30 years of age, which means I'm ineligible for a working holiday visa. I do have a working holiday visa for the Uk. So my only option is for a work permit.

I have a degree in international business, a diploma in management, diploma in business, certificate in recruitment & selection and I'm also a qualified Chef.

my most recent work experience is as a recruitment consultant.

I have looked through the Irish government immigration web site and find it a little confusing with regard to my situation.

Basicly I would like to be in the same country with my girlfriend who is Irish.

Can any one help me out please?

Thanks Mark

victor8600

Re: I need help with my situation for an Irish work permit

Post by victor8600 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:23 pm

8888 wrote:Hi Can someone please provide me with some advice or even point me in the right direction.
You don't need a visa to get into Ireland, but you need a work permit to work, right?

You may look for a job where they are prepared to make a work permit for you. If you are lucky/good enough to get a job which pays more than €60K a year, it would be even easier -- apply for "Green Card" work permit, this is quicker and gives you more. Look at http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/guidelines.htm for explanation of different types of work permits. You may also apply for "Green Card" if your qualifications are on the list there and the job pays more than €30K.

Alternatively, you can marry your Irish girlfriend. ;)
All your base are belong to us

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Make sure you also leave Ireland before applying for the work permit itself. They are now declining anyone who is in the country as a visitor, whether they needed a visa to get in in the first place or not. The guidelines they put up on the site suggests that anyone who is in the country legally can apply, in the case of non-visa required nationals, so this is confusing.

You would also have run into problems if you'd got the working holiday visa if you'd wanted to stay on. I ended up having to leave after this and came back in on a green card.

Newly Registered

Post by 8888 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:56 am

Hi Thank you for your replies.

RE:victor8600

Yes I want to get a work permit for Ireland.

I have gone through the work permit guidlines a few times, but nothing is clear for my situation (qualifications and experience) it is neither yes or no. I didn't want to prepare an application and pay the fees not knowing for sure that I would have a good chance to be approved?

Is there somewhere/someone I could speak to get advice on whether I will be successful or even to outline what I could do to improve my application?

So I'm a little stressed about it all...

RE: esharknz

Thank you for your reply.

I'm guessing you were in a similar situation as me, but I assume your qualifications and experience are different to mine?

I'm currently working in London, so don't have to worry about being Ireland.

what is the best way to approach prospective employers? I am willing to foot the bills if there are any incurred by the employer.

I'm looking forward to hear you both and anyone else how can help me out.

Thanks Mark

Ben
Diamond Member

Use EU law

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 am

Does your Irish girlfriend live with you in London? If not, could she?

If you and your girlfriend live together in London, for at least six months (to be safe), you can both "return" to Ireland together in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC.

You wouldn't need a work permit to work, you would be able to work in any job.

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:17 am

8888 wrote:...Is there somewhere/someone I could speak to get advice on whether I will be successful or even to outline what I could do to improve my application?...
Migrant Rights Centre Ireland (MRCI) is usually very helpful. You may need to allocate half a day to speak to them though, as they are quite busy these days. Their address is:
http://www.mrci.ie/
55 Parnell Square West, Dublin 1
Tel: (01) 889 7570
Fax: (01) 889 7579
Email: info@mrci.ie
All your base are belong to us

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi there,

I did something similar enough. I'm now living in Wicklow and working in Dublin. Used to live in Cork but arranged job interviews in Dublin. Then made the move when offered with an IT job that would allow me to stay on after my working holiday visa expiry. May take a few trips across to get all sorted.

I'd also asked for advice regarding my application from the Immigrant Council. They advised the following:

"We would not be able to advise as to what you have to fill in the application form. Each case is individual, and it is best to discuss it with your employer. If you are applying for a work permit, it is recommendable that the employer encloses CVs and letter that have been sent to him by other “eligibleâ€

Newly Registered

RE: I need help with my situation for an Irish work permit

Post by 8888 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:03 pm

benifa

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately for me my Irish girlfriend broke up with me as the long distance was too hard for her. Which has puzzled me as she is the one who wanted to do the long distance in the first place. Anyhow she is no longer in the picture unfortunately.

But your advice was spot on!

Aside from the girl I still want to work in Ireland as I do not want go back to Australia any time soon!

victor8600

Thank you for your advice! I have not call the MRCI yet, I will be calling them this Monday seeing as it is a bank holiday in London.

esharknz

Thank you for your advice too!

Will it be difficult for me to apply for jobs in Ireland from London? What I mean is will employers look at my application and see that I need a work permit, then not bother with my application because it is too much involved??? The fees for the work permit I'm willing to cover to make my application look more workable!

So I'm still a little lost?

Thanks Mark!

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri May 02, 2008 6:33 pm

I think it does put some firms off, but hey, I'm still here. I just think it took me bit longer than someone who didn't require a work permit/green card to find a job. Other kiwi's in the same boat have said similar things as I have.

A green card isn't too much hassle to get once you know the full story as to what to do (believe me the departments here that have any say over immigration generally contradict each other). A work permit, I'm not too sure on. There is the required labour market test, but I think the amount of advertising time has been cut back substantially. I can't recall exactly what it is now, but it used to be 4 weeks or so.

You are also able to apply yourself and pay the fee yourself, so this may also help.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Though it may put some firms off, it shouldn't affect you too much since it is a short flight. Also, you have a business degree, so that is helpful.

I don't know what company you are working for or what kind of work you are doing, but you could look into what the transfer possibilities are.

If you don't meet the green card requirements, and if you don't mind a pay cut (depending on the size of the firm you will make between €18k-25k with annual increases as you pass your exams), you could go a trainee route. I am 26 with a BA in English. I don't want to go back to the States. I was interested in going into the business field, so I'm doing accounting. The positions start in Autumn, usually, but smaller firm hire year round. You can qualify as an accountant in Ireland, which is a passport to the world. It should only take you 3 years, since you have a business degree. There is a 3 year on the job training requirement for qualification. Also, if you do well on your exams and the company likes you, or you could go elsewhere, companies are willing to sponsor you for a green card. It is a high skill shortage area, so it shouldn't be a problem. Once your qualified, you should make between €40k-€60k depending on where you work and how badly the company wants you. I know it takes time, but so does every job.

Anyway, good luck!
Cheers!