ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing name on BRP after marriage - do it now or later?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sadietaber
Newly Registered

Changing name on BRP after marriage - do it now or later?

Post by sadietaber » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Hello! I had a quick question as I am looking to change my name after marrying a British citizen. I am currently on a Tier 2 work visa and can apply for ILR next February. I was unsure of the following:

-does the change in name on BRP need to be done within 3 months of the date of my marriage certificate or 3 months on the date a new passport is issued (with my new name on it)?

-could I wait to renew my passport until just before I go for ILR in February and then change my name on my ILR application (as to not have to pay 2 fees)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as 3 months since I have been married will be at the end of August and not sure if I need to expedite my passport/BRP applications to meet that date. Thank you!

equitydealer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Changing name on BRP after marriage - do it now or later?

Post by equitydealer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 am

If your legal name has changed you need to get a new BRP immediately

https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp
My comments do not constitute immigration advice, if in doubt consult an immigration adviser/solicitor

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:02 am

equitydealer wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 am
If your legal name has changed you need to get a new BRP immediately

https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp
It is not mandatory or law in the UK to change your name when getting married. The op would need to change her passport first before a brp but can do it closer to ILR application too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am

Although a name change is not mandatory, problems may arise if children have different surname from parents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.