ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uk (22 k £) Long term career or Italy ( 41 k Euro) ???

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Uk (22 k £) Long term career or Italy ( 41 k Euro) ???

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Hello there

Am bit confused with my situation.

Got a Job offer based in Italy which looks promising wrt to package and also seems looking for long term as well and the company seems to be big head in his area, but the offer from the company is all conducted by an Agency. so not sure how well the working style will be in the prospective company.

Since generally up to my knowledge, if a company is good enough and have proper atmosphere how can they provide offer letter with out having eye to eye contact, as i know working for a good company, employer will have good look on attitude stuff of a prospective employee.

Only thing Company did is having Phone interview and talking for few say 15 to 20 mins generally.

I know the above para may suit wrt to US companies, but when it comes to European its not the case.

Currently on 5 yrs permit (second year running), not happy with the pay and few things going ahead wrt to immigration as well, but apart from it cant find much work load and not much pressure in the present company which is good, and am basically laid back person.

Got my own house here, as my partner is based in Uk. so she can look after it inspite me relocating to Italy.

But generally do you think its a wise decision to move to Italy just for the fancy figure of the package, don't know much about Italian Economy, life style, but for sure i know will struggle initially to cope up with the local language.

So people with any valuable advice from anyone will be good on whats your say i.e., relocating from UK to Italy with the above facts and figures.
Last edited by Inverness_Krishna on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:54 am

What's your nationality, and if not British, what's your visa status in the United Kingdom?

And same information for your partner.

The answers should influence your choice ...

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:48 am

Inverness_krishna,
£ has been loosing value constantly against € and there is no long term guarantee that the UK economy will survive the current crisis in the financial world. Italy has significant problems related to productivity, cost of living and the future isn't guaranteed either.

Weather is better, architecture is better and they are more relaxed than UK people.

If you get a work permit in Italy, then you will be in very similar situation on both countries.....it is more a personal desicion than an immigration related choice. Try to analyze the future of both countries/economies and make a desicion.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:41 am

try-one wrote:Inverness_krishna,
£ has been loosing value constantly against € and there is no long term guarantee that the UK economy will survive the current crisis in the financial world. Italy has significant problems related to productivity, cost of living and the future isn't guaranteed either.

Weather is better, architecture is better and they are more relaxed than UK people.

If you get a work permit in Italy, then you will be in very similar situation on both countries.....it is more a personal desicion than an immigration related choice. Try to analyze the future of both countries/economies and make a desicion.
Both Italy and GB are f***ed. Italy's total debt is higher than its GDP and parts of southern Italy are quite impoverished. On the other hand, the prospects for the UK economy ar quite bleak and the GBP is rapidly heading for parity with the Euro..

All said and done, I would choose Italy over Inverness anyday :lol:

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:28 am

thanks for your opinion folks.

Am Indian and on work permit visa.

"parts of southern Italy are quite impoverished"

Came across it while doing some R&D, been analyzing other related issues too, heard they are on the verge of dividing North and South.

Job will be placed at central Italy, if at all say am relocated not sure how things can be.

Not much difference in Uk a little while ago i.e., Scotland referendum

Relocation from Uk to Italy

As people are saying it will be more a personal decision, can agree to some extent.

But whats your say the way have been offered a Job, do you feel its all normal?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:31 pm

So don't you need a permit for Italy?

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:26 pm

"So don't you need a permit for Italy?"

Yes i do need,

But thats not a issue. As the company seems to a high profile one in it sector at Italy and its more willing to apply after i sign the contract, just gathering the enough information as much i can before to make a sensible decision.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Inverness_Krishna wrote:"So don't you need a permit for Italy?"

Yes i do need,

But thats not a issue. As the company seems to a high profile one in it sector at Italy and its more willing to apply after i sign the contract, just gathering the enough information as much i can before to make a sensible decision.
Thats silly. You can't start work until the visa is processed. So for all intents and purposes, if your visa is denied you have no job. Anyway, I don't see any harm in accepting the position. Once your visa is approved, start the job in Italy but take a leave of absence from your current job. After a month you will see if everything is sorted properly for you. If so, then quit your UK job officially.
Cherio

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:14 pm

republique wrote:
Inverness_Krishna wrote:"So don't you need a permit for Italy?"

Yes i do need,

Thats silly. You can't start work until the visa is processed. So for all intents and purposes, if your visa is denied you have no job. Anyway, I don't see any harm in accepting the position. Once your visa is approved, start the job in Italy but take a leave of absence from your current job. After a month you will see if everything is sorted properly for you. If so, then quit your UK job officially.
Cherio
Similar to my gf's job in Germany, sign contract, wait for six months for all the red tape......

Don't quit ur current job till u get the visa!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 pm

"Thats silly. You can't start work until the visa is processed"

Not sure what silliness you found out.

You are just going out the topic every time. Read before you comment in a silly way please. anyway thanks for the time you have taken to put your opinion.

My query was Uk vs Italy(economy and genreal comparison), and the way how company acted in offering the Job, and not whether i need a work pemit, how to start the work or neither do i need a work permit.

"Don't quit ur current job till u get the visa!"

thanks for your advice, as i was in the same mood.

But 6 months is quite a long time.

All they said here is its a month process to process permit after signing the contract as Italy has different legislative rules followed by the govt depending on the geographical location .

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:21 pm

You are just going out the topic every time. Read before you comment in a silly way please. anyway thanks for the time you have taken to put your opinion.

My query was Uk vs Italy(economy and genreal comparison), and the way how company acted in offering the Job, and not whether i need a work pemit, how to start the work or neither do i need a work permit.
Then, you have posted in a wrong forum. You should have posted in General non immigration related topic than UK immigration forum. Please read the topic before you post

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 pm

To be honest, I fear Italian red tape would be even more red tapey than the Germans.

Mind u, non of the stereotypes seems to stand, Germany and Germans are the least efficient people in the EEA....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 pm

Elias can you also read my topic from the beginning before you come to a conclusion..

My first post on this topic includes below

"Currently on 5 yrs permit (second year running), not happy with the pay and few things going ahead wrt to immigration as well"

Was one of my query, Which is now sorted out so am extending with other queries.

So Elias if you have any knowledge to share with my issue, will be thankful.

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Wanderer

Agreed when it comes to the first sentence.

Lets see, and will try to update the things.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Thu May 01, 2008 12:28 am

Inverness_Krishna wrote:Elias can you also read my topic from the beginning before you come to a conclusion..

My first post on this topic includes below

"Currently on 5 yrs permit (second year running), not happy with the pay and few things going ahead wrt to immigration as well"

Was one of my query, Which is now sorted out so am extending with other queries.

So Elias if you have any knowledge to share with my issue, will be thankful.
My query was Uk vs Italy(economy and genreal comparison), and the way how company acted in offering the Job, and not whether i need a work pemit
My reply/comment was for the above quote where you made that your query was UK vs Italy which is more general and nothing to do with workpermit so its off the topic of immigration.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu May 01, 2008 2:05 am

Inverness_Krishna wrote:
Am Indian and on work permit visa.
Where do you think that the path to permanent residence and citizenship will be most straightforward? (if this is important).

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu May 01, 2008 9:05 am

Inverness_Krishna wrote:"Thats silly. You can't start work until the visa is processed"

Not sure what silliness you found out.

"Don't quit ur current job till u get the visa!"

thanks for your advice, as i was in the same mood.

But 6 months is quite a long time.

All they said here is its a month process to process permit after signing the contract as Italy has different legislative rules followed by the govt depending on the geographical location .
Incredible. You asked for opinions and you are going to get picky which ones are acceptable? I was refering to the Italian company being silly and requiring you to sign the contract before processing. Since you can sign and still not show up, signing doesn't assure them of anything. Especially when it can take 6 months for the visa to be processed.
Last edited by republique on Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inverness_Krishna
Newly Registered

Post by Inverness_Krishna » Thu May 01, 2008 10:57 am

JAJ

true more or less

everything comes in to same period of length and can only see the names for permit status changing.

Say in Italy, if you have a Job with decent pay, they will be eligible to apply for permanent residence(five years), but again its just the name so called, terms are something similar to HSMP. Advantage is you get (five years) in one go and than eligible for indefinite leave or citizenship.

Advantage with Work permit in Italy is if you loose the Job in the current company, you have six month grace period to find a new Job,

But again, only when you live in the particular place. we can judge their credibility on immigration rules.