ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 general work visa. How to get father to come to UK?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Indianppholder
Newly Registered
India

Tier 2 general work visa. How to get father to come to UK?

Post by Indianppholder » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi. I have been in the UK since 2016 April. I hold a Tier 2 General Work Visa. My father is in India and I am his only kin. He is 62 years old and is retired. Is there any way for me to get him to come to the UK with me as there is no one else to take care of him at the moment?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 general work visa. How to get father to come to UK?

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Unfortunately not. You cannot sponsor a parent as a dependent on a tier 2 visa at all.

Once you have ILR, you also can't sponsor him for an adult dependent relative visa either, as this visa is almost impossible to get since the UK tightened the rules in July 2012.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thevocalmonk
India

Post by thevocalmonk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Your father can travel to the UK on a standard visitor visa (for a maximum of 6 months). Once the visa expires, I am not sure after how long he can apply for a subsequent visa though.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm

thevocalmonk wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 pm
Your father can travel to the UK on a standard visitor visa (for a maximum of 6 months). Once the visa expires, I am not sure after how long he can apply for a subsequent visa though.
A visit of 6 months is likely to be considered as too long and a visitor can't be spending more time in the UK within a 12 month rolling period than they are spending in their home country.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.