ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation process - When does one become a citizen?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

janakrb
Newly Registered

Naturalisation process - When does one become a citizen?

Post by janakrb » Thu May 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi,

At what stage of the naturalisation process does one actually become a British citizen? Date of approval? Date of ceremony? Some other date?

I am an Indian national on ILR and would be applying for citizenship later this year. Given that I travel quite frequently, I would like to plan ahead so that I don't need to travel between the day I become a British Citizen (and lose eligibility of my Indian passport) and the day I obtain a British passport.

Thanks.

Janak

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu May 01, 2008 1:51 pm

When you attend the ceremony, you'll be given the certificate of naturalisation, that's when you'll become a British Citizen.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Thu May 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Beware! Don't make the common mistake that many people do in this country when they equate becoming a British citizen and receiving a UK passport. They are two separate, albeit linked events.

As paulp has written, you become a British citizen once you receive your naturalisation certificate at your ceremony.

However, you receive your UK passport upon a separate application after receiving your certificate. Even if you apply for your new UK passport on the day of your swearing in ceremony, you should give yourself a window of 3 weeks to 2 months to actually receive the passport. In that period of time (assuming you don't have any other passport), you won't be able to leave the UK because your Indian passport will no longer be valid and your British one hasn't yet arrived in the post.

So just plan accordingly!