ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship and good character

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation application

Post by Tammydestiny » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi there, hopefully this won’t be long. Am thinking of applying for citizenship through naturalisation and needed abit or advice. Any bird of advice will truly be appreciated. Here’s my story.

I moved to the UK on an idefinite leave to enter on grounds to join parent whose been leaving in the UK for more than 10years. This was in 2013 during my final year in high school I suffered a mental illness and was given a diagnosis with a process or being in and out of hospital. A year later a had an bad episode where I unknowingly tried to pyhsically hurt my 13 yr old brother who was taken away from my mother and put in care. Was put in hospital and after that taken to court but that case was deserted by the judge. Nearly 2 years later I had another episode and was again taken to court and the sheriff made no further order. I later received a later stating. I had no more criminal convictions due to my mental health. For about 3 nearly 4 years I’ve been on PIP and ESA as GP says am unable to work.

My question is if I apply for naturalisation will my application get refused due to failing to meet the good character requirement or does having criminal convictions due to mental health change anything.
Also is there anybody here with a similar situation of having criminal records due to mental health and got a successful application?

Jbkhan32

Re: Naturalisation application

Post by Jbkhan32 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:04 am

Tammydestiny wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 pm
Hi there, hopefully this won’t be long. Am thinking of applying for citizenship through naturalisation and needed abit or advice. Any bird of advice will truly be appreciated. Here’s my story.

I moved to the UK on an idefinite leave to enter on grounds to join parent whose been leaving in the UK for more than 10years. This was in 2013 during my final year in high school I suffered a mental illness and was given a diagnosis with a process or being in and out of hospital. A year later a had an bad episode where I unknowingly tried to pyhsically hurt my 13 yr old brother who was taken away from my mother and put in care. Was put in hospital and after that taken to court but that case was deserted by the judge. Nearly 2 years later I had another episode and was again taken to court and the sheriff made no further order. I later received a later stating. I had no more criminal convictions due to my mental health. For about 3 nearly 4 years I’ve been on PIP and ESA as GP says am unable to work.

My question is if I apply for naturalisation will my application get refused due to failing to meet the good character requirement or does having criminal convictions due to mental health change anything.
Also is there anybody here with a similar situation of having criminal records due to mental health and got a successful application?

It looks that your mental illness is dangerous to others.
Mental health issues does not an issue in naturalisation process but your case is different.
You committed a crime but due to mental illness you do not have a criminal record,on the other side,Home office may think about the interest of public at large.

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation application

Post by Tammydestiny » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for your reply🙂. I’ve been seeing a mental health team since which is a nurse and pyschiatrist and medication which is seems to be working since the red alert on my hospital records had been removed and also I’ve now lived on my own for over a year and not been trouble with the law or police at all. Does this seem positive and reassuring that am under treatment and not posing are threat to anyone. I can even get a letter from both my Gp and psychiatrist. Or is there still no hope if someone that was reading this on an application still worry am a danger to society😒.

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation application

Post by Tammydestiny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British citizenship and good character

Post by Tammydestiny » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi every, I have a few questions regarding application for naturalisation and in need of some advice please.

I have two criminal convictions with were quite serious in my opinion one for carrying a weapon and the other for attempted assault. Both these incidents happened while I was having a mental episode and have almost no memory of what happened. Ofcourse I was examined by both my psychiatrist and also one appointed by the court and the results for both cases forgot to mention one case was in 2017 and then other 2016. In both cases the sheriff made no further order and stated I had no criminal records however the 2017 cases I was advised by the judge to continue psychiatrist treatment. It’s been a year and I haven’t been in any trouble whatsoever with the law and have/still continuing with my treatment. Prior to all this I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I do intend to mention these in my application. However as someone reading this do I sound like a person of bad character with minimal chances of getting naturalised or does it being a deserted case and being in treatment with no trouble in the past year help my case. Do I need to write a cover story explaining my mental illness or is that irrelevant?

Also my name on my passport is a different spelling but same name I use for different purposes like school and banks. For example Jerry H brown in passport and Jerrie brown on bank card. How big of a problem is this?

Please help! Done as much research as I can but because my case is a wee bit complicated Becausr of having been convicted but no recorded criminal record due to my health. I have no idea of giving it a go is useless in my case or the positive side of being in treatment, living on my own, paying all my bills and even in college help me. Ps why I mention living on my own is because a year ago I wasn’t allowed to live on my own by the psychiatrist but obviously I was able too and been coping well even since.
Will truly be great for any advice

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: British citizenship and good character

Post by Tammydestiny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Anyone?? Please😔

jimmywaley2k
Newly Registered

Post by jimmywaley2k » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Tammydestiny,
i think you will need to proof that your previous mental health issue is all cleared otherwise the home office might decided that you are not of sound mind.

The legal requirements you should meet before you apply are that you:
• Are aged 18 or over when you apply
• Are of sound mind, so that you understand the step you are taking (but see
page 11 for those who are not of sound mind)
• Intend to continue to live in the UK, or to continue in Crown service, the
service of an international organisation of which the UK is a member or the
service of a company or association established in the UK
• Can communicate in English (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) to an acceptable
degree
• Have sufficient knowledge about life in the UK
• Are of good character
• Have lived in the UK for a minimum of 5 years before you apply and meet the
following residence requirements.
You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland,
Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5
years before the application is received by the Home Office.
just my thought not exactly sure you could be refused or approved. try give much more facts about your mental health as at when applying.
all the best!

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tammydestiny » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks so much for the reply😊. I’ll definitely give them all the details of my current mental health and show them am of sound mind. Just crossing my fingers I won’t be seen as a person of bad character. Fingers crossed!

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tammydestiny » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks so much for the reply😊. I’ll definitely give them all the details of my current mental health and show them am of sound mind. Just crossing my fingers I won’t be seen as a person of bad character. Fingers crossed!