ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self Assessment penalties impact on ILR under T2 General route

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vpatel01
Newly Registered
India

Self Assessment penalties impact on ILR under T2 General route

Post by vpatel01 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi,

Please can you advise on my query below.

I will be applying for ILR next month under T2 General 5Y route.
However, I was reading various topics on this forum and learnt that missing SA or tax discrepancy could cause ILR refusal. Hence, I validated my HMRC found and shocked to notice one pending Self-assessment for year 2013-2014. Also, there are penalties for not filing it.

Note that, I am into full time employment since start of my qualifying period and I have got P60s for all years.
I did call HMRC in year 2015 to cancel self-assessment reminders as my tax is deducted under PAYE.
HMRC appeared to cancel SA from 2015 onward but 2013-2014 was still pending, which I was not aware of.
Neither I received any late penalty letters as I moved my address but it was not updated in HMRC account (my ignorance).

I called up HMRC and they asked me to submit SA in paper form for year 2013-2014 and advised to cancel penalty after return is processed (on the ground that i am PAYE and should not really be requested for SA).

I have no clue how long this process will take?
Please advise, if this could be cause of refusal. I am planning to cancel my ILR premium appointment until HMRC thread is sorted.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vishal

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Self Assessment penalties impact on ILR under T2 General route

Post by zimba » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:57 am

You are not required to file SA when you have no taxes to pay and all your taxes are deducted via PAYE. This should not affect your ILR.
The topics you have read were possibly all about the old Tier 1G route which is now fully closed
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice