ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR passport application for newborn

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Freddofrog
Newly Registered
Australia

ILR passport application for newborn

Post by Freddofrog » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 pm

I have indefinite leave to remain and wish to apply for a UK passport for my newborn son. On the application form it asks if the parent has been granted a "certificate of registration or naturalisation". What does this mean in terms of ILR? Do I tick yes and provide the details of my biometric residence permit?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR passport application for newborn

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 pm

You can only apply for a British passport AFTER you register your newborn as a British Citizen first via MN1 form. You need to apply for that first given you are applying on your ILR basis.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

vinny

Re: ILR passport application for newborn

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 am

No. If they granted a parent ILR before the child is born in the UK, then child is automatically British.

An ILR holder wasn't granted a "certificate of registration or naturalisation". Enclose proof of parent's ILR in child's British passport application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.