ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RE: items of correspondence

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mohammed24

Queries RE: Extending the spouse visa (Applying for FLR)

Post by Mohammed24 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi,

I'd like to know what finances we have to show when it comes to extending our initial 2.5 year visa to apply for FLR.

We came to the UK on the savings route. Does this affect how much we have to show?

- Would we be required to show the £62,500 at the time of extension?

OR:

- Would we be required to show the £18,600?

Does it matter if there was a period within the initial 2.5 year span where we were not working or not earning, IF we're still able to show one of the above financial requirements?
:?:
Thank you for any clarifications.

(P.S. For some reason I was unable to log-in to my long standing old, original account and so I created a new account, but I wanted to give a shout out to Casa and all the mods that helped us along the way and say thank you- so thank you! :) )

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Queries RE: Extending the spouse visa (Applying for FLR)

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm

You need to show that throughout the 6 month period prior to submitting the FLR(M) application you have either been earning the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a or have held £62,500 in savings in an accessible account for the 6 month period.

Income or savings can be joint.

Thanks for the 'thanks'. Pleased to be of help :)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sud315

Post by sud315 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks Mohammed for posting this question, I came in search of the same! :lol:
Thank you Casa for the answer
Surely it will help many others too. I just didn't want to quietly read it and go.
Thanks specially all moderators, this site is immensely helpful

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm
You need to show that throughout the 6 month period prior to submitting the FLR(M) application you have either been earning the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a or have held £62,500 in savings in an accessible account for the 6 month period.

Hi Casa!

I hope you're well. It's been a while!

Thank you for your reply as always.

We initially made our application from Australia and provided bank statements for our Australian account showing our savings.
Now that we'll be applying for the extension of the visa (in September-yikes!) from within the UK, would it still be OK to provide our Australian bank statements alongside our local UK bank account statements, which also show some of our savings? Will the Australian bank statements still be accepted when applying internally from within the UK?

Thank you in advance!

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 pm

sud315 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm
Thanks Mohammed for posting this question, I came in search of the same! :lol:
Thank you Casa for the answer
Surely it will help many others too. I just didn't want to quietly read it and go.
Thanks specially all moderators, this site is immensely helpful
You're welcome and thank you for passing by and glad my question was of help! :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Mohammed24 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 pm
Casa wrote:

Hi Casa!

We initially made our application from Australia and provided bank statements for our Australian account showing our savings.
Now that we'll be applying for the extension of the visa (in September-yikes!) from within the UK, would it still be OK to provide our Australian bank statements alongside our local UK bank account statements, which also show some of our savings? Will the Australian bank statements still be accepted when applying internally from within the UK?

Thank you in advance!
How time flies! :) Savings held in a bank account outside of the UK should be fine, providing they are accessible.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 pm
Mohammed24 wrote:
Casa wrote:

Hi Casa!

Thank you in advance!
How time flies! :) Savings held in a bank account outside of the UK should be fine, providing they are accessible.
I know! I couldn't believe it had almost been a year since my initial post!

Thanks for your reply. Would we be required to show where the funds came from (again)?
Also, the savings we have in the local UK bank account are from a transfer we made from our Australian account where the bulk of the savings remain. Would we be required to show where the money in our UK bank account came from?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Mohammed24 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Casa wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 pm
Mohammed24 wrote:
Casa wrote:

Hi Casa!

Thank you in advance!
I know! I couldn't believe it had almost been a year since my initial post!

Thanks for your reply. Would we be required to show where the funds came from (again)?
Also, the savings we have in the local UK bank account are from a transfer we made from our Australian account where the bulk of the savings remain. Would we be required to show where the money in our UK bank account came from?
Yes and yes.
(Casa, not CR001)

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm

:)

So is it OK then to show partial savings in our UK account - lets say 19K and then show 45K in our Australian account?

Also, if we are owed money from friends- let's say 10k, and they pay us that money back and it appears on a bank statement- what sort of justification or evidence would we be required to show to prove that money is ours?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Maybe if you can get a letter from your friend who paying you that sum will be fine. However, one thing you keep in mind that HO will only consider the lowest figure of saving held during the last 6 months if savings fluctuate. And yes you can combine the saving for both accounts as long as you can produce necessary paper work of them.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm finally back after moving houses and cities and being without the internet for a month!

I'm trying to get things together- we only have about 2 weeks left before we need to submit our extension application- yikes!

I wanted to ask which form we need to fill in for the further leave to remain. Is it this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm

Thank you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Mohammed24 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm
I'm finally back after moving houses and cities and being without the internet for a month!

I'm trying to get things together- we only have about 2 weeks left before we need to submit our extension application- yikes!

I wanted to ask which form we need to fill in for the further leave to remain. Is it this:

Thank you.
Welcome back! Yes, FLR(M) is the correct application form.
(Casa, not CR001)

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Casa wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm
Mohammed24 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Thank you.
Welcome back! Yes, FLR(M) is the correct application form.

Thanks Casa! :)

I had the wrong form initially, then found the correct one. Thanks for confirming the correct form!

We haven't even started looking at anything yet- I really hope we're not cutting it fine. The move knocked us off our feet for a bit!

The BRP card says it's valid until the 30th of September, so what's the latest we would be able to actually submit our application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm

You can apply at any time before the expiry date on your BRP card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm
That's a relief that there isn't a certain time limit by which we'd need to apply. Thank you. :)

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm

What happens once we reach the expiry date on the BRP if our application is still with the Home Office? Like what would my status be in that situation- then given that my actual BRP/ Visa date has passed?

Also, if we're lucky enough to have everything go smoothly and our application is processed quickly, would the start date on the visa/BRP ever be a date that is earlier than the expiry date of the previous BRP? i.e. Our current one expires on the 30th of September, would they start the next one from say the 25h of September or will the date always be after the current one expires?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Mohammed24 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm
What happens once we reach the expiry date on the BRP if our application is still with the Home Office? Like what would my status be in that situation- then given that my actual BRP/ Visa date has passed?

Also, if we're lucky enough to have everything go smoothly and our application is processed quickly, would the start date on the visa/BRP ever be a date that is earlier than the expiry date of the previous BRP? i.e. Our current one expires on the 30th of September, would they start the next one from say the 25h of September or will the date always be after the current one expires?
If the application is submitted BEFORE expiry of the current visa, then your existing visa conditions continue under Section 3C of the Immigration Rules.

The start date of the new visa will be from date of decision and not 'tagged onto' the end of the current visa. So if you get a decision of approval on 1st September, the start date of the new visa will be around the same time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm
Mohammed24 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm

If the application is submitted BEFORE expiry of the current visa, then your existing visa conditions continue under Section 3C of the Immigration Rules.

The start date of the new visa will be from date of decision and not 'tagged onto' the end of the current visa. So if you get a decision of approval on 1st September, the start date of the new visa will be around the same time.
Thank you very much for your reply! :)
I'm just reading about the biometric enrollment on the Flr(M) form where it states:
As part of your application you are required to enrol your biometric information.
Does this mean I need to find a post office that caters for biometric enrollment and have that done PRIOR to actually sending off my flr(M) application?

The part that confused me was this part:
Your application may be rejected as invalid if you do not enrol your biometrics when requested.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:31 pm

HO will write to you to enrol your biometrics, no need to do before you send the application. The letter will have a barcode that the post office scans when you go to do it. You will be given 15 days to enrol them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:31 pm
HO will write to you to enrol your biometrics, no need to do before you send the application. The letter will have a barcode that the post office scans when you go to do it. You will be given 15 days to enrol them.
Thanks for clarifying that! One less thing to worry about for now then.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Casa wrote:

Hi Casa / CR001

Hope you're both well.

I'm just reading the FLR(M)guidance notes, and I'm on page 9 where it talks about meeting the financial requirement, and I was shocked to see that there's no mention of the " savings route."
Instead, it lists 6 ways one can meet the financial requirements:
d)

You can meet the financial requirement through:
• Income from employment or self employment of your sponsor
• Income from your employment or self employment if you are in the UK with permission to work
• Certain income from sources other than employment
• State or private pensions of you and your sponsor
• Maternity allowances or bereavement benefits received in the UK
• Cash savings over £16,000.

I'm really confused now! If neither of us are currently in employment, and according to the sixth point in bold above, are we just required to show Cash savings over £16,000? And Not the 62.5k? :?

To add to the confusion, the guide then states:
The amounts required to meet the financial requirement are:
Partner - £18,600
OK, so now it's saying we need to show £18,600 in cash savings, and not £16,000? :?

Appreciate any help and clarifications on this point. Thank you!

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Also, I have no idea what we did last time when we had to show proof for the fulfillment of the English language requirement. I remember going onto the UK NARIC website though and vaguely remembering printing out that my university is on the list of recognised universities that teach in English, but I'm not sure now?

I'm also reading the appendix FM, and read this part:
4.4. Applicants who provided evidence of an acceptable
academic qualification with a previous application

A partner or parent applying for leave to enter or remain who has an academic qualification
which was accepted as part of a successful previous application
as a partner or parent is not
required to provide further evidence of that academic qualification.
What exactly does this mean? ^

That we don't need to send the actual degree certificate, but still need to state how we meet the English language requirement? Or that we don't need to prove the fulfillment of the English language requirement in it's entirety based on it already being proven from our initial application?

Thank you as always.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:39 pm

[quote=Mohammed24 post_id=1673284 time=1535033831 user_id=157969]

Also, I have no idea what we did last time when we had to show proof for the fulfillment of the English language requirement. I remember going onto the UK NARIC website though and vaguely remembering printing out that my university is on the list of recognised universities that teach in English, but I'm not sure now?

EDIT: going through our emails, I can see that we used the points based calculator to verify our English language fulfillment and provided a print-out of it.
Does that mean that we actually need to get UK NARIC to confirm our fulfillment of the English language requirement this time?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Either you misunderstood it or incompletely understand it. Anyways you can only use the cash savings in excess of £16000 (first £16000 of saving won't be counted) and if none of you working then you will need £62500. On the other hand if either of you working but earning lesser than the financial threshold then cash savings can cover the shortfall.
Regarding English language then at extension stage your partner will need to do A2/B1 Ielts life skills. Because in old days there was a qualification calculator in UKBA website where if you find your institute and get 10 points then it used to assumed that you have met the English language requirement. But unfortunately it does not exist at all now but on the other hand you can get NARIC red route degree comparability and English proficiency statement too.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Mohammed24

Post by Mohammed24 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:41 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 pm
Either you misunderstood it or incompletely understand it. Anyways you can only use the cash savings in excess of £16000 (first £16000 of saving won't be counted) and if none of you working then you will need £62500. On the other hand if either of you working but earning lesser than the financial threshold then cash savings can cover the shortfall.
Regarding English language then at extension stage your partner will need to do A2/B1 Ielts life skills. Because in old days there was a qualification calculator in UKBA website where if you find your institute and get 10 points then it used to assumed that you have met the English language requirement. But unfortunately it does not exist at all now but on the other hand you can get NARIC red route degree comparability and English proficiency statement too.
Thanks for your detailed reply Seagul. Much appreciated.

The confusion arose from the fact that unlike in our previous initial application - this form and the guidelines made no actual mention of the savings route, nor of the 62,500 figure.

I'm on the UK NARIC website at the moment, just registering and I'm a bit stumped.

It states:
Nationality
Immigration Tier
Immigration Route
Under immigration tier, I have selected
Family, settlement and nationality.

Under Immigration Route, the options are either:
Family OR Settlement
Which of the two do I select because I would've thought that they're both within the same category?

Thank you.