ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Information Required for First Passport Following Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ffmuni
Germany

Information Required for First Passport Following Naturalisation

Post by Ffmuni » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Page 7 of the Guidance Notes for the UK Passport Application states,

“If both parents were born on or after 1 January 1983, or were both born outside the UK, please give the following details in section 8 of the application form. Either:
Ÿ the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of your mother’s or parent 1’s parents and your father’s or parent 2’s parents....”

As I have just received my letter stating my application for citizenship has been approved, I decided to get the ball rolling for a UK passport. Does this really mean that I, having just received my citizenship approval, have to provide this information?

Has anyone who recently applied for a UK passport completed after naturalisation completed this section or am I reading this wrongly?

My Parents and Grandparents were born outside the EU
This will not be my first adult passport as I hold a current German passport
It would be the case that I am unlikely to be able to provide details of my grandparents places and dates of birth and dates of marriages.

Any advice or information gratefully accepted.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Information Required for First Passport Following Naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 pm

1. You can only apply for a passport once you have attended your ceremony. You are not British until that point.

2. You need to state your parents names and details.

3. You do NOT have to state grandparent details.

5. This is your FIRST adult BRITISH passport, regardless of how many other national passports you hold.

6. The same passport form is used for everyone, even those born British, hence some questions apply to you and some don't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ffmuni
Germany

Post by Ffmuni » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the swift reply CR001.

To whom then would the following apply, as both my parents were born outside the UK?

“If both parents were born on or after 1 January 1983, or were both born outside the UK, please give the following details in section 8 of the application form. Either:
Ÿ the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of your mother’s or parent 1’s parents and your father’s or parent 2’s parents....”

Thankyou for your time.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:42 pm

You must state your parents details as I have said.

All applicants complete parents details usually.

Some applicants are British under certain circumstances if born abroad to British parents, for example.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ffmuni
Germany

Post by Ffmuni » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Thankyou again for your comments.

I am getting my application details together for a passport as I shall be attending a Citizenship Ceremony on this coming Wednesday. It was my intention to post the application on the way home from the ceremony!

The wording of the section still seems confusing to me, as it is to be completed for persons making a first passport application and states if your parents are born outside the UK you must provide the details of your Grandparents.

However, from my reading of the Booards here and my own experience I realise that the HO are not always clear or consistent.

Thanks again for the advice

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:58 pm

There are people who get their British Citizenship through ancestry, I don't know how that works exactly (I'm naturalised through residency) but agree that the requirements are confusing.

I was only able to provide my parents' birth details, not their date of marriage and have read that grandparents' details weren't relevant for my application.

So I filled out what I could, I enclosed my naturalisation certificate, wrote a cover letter explaining that I wouldn't be able to provide my parents' date of marriage and my grandparents' details. I also asked them not to fold the naturalisation certificate (I sent off my application in an A4 hard backed envelope).

From date of acknowledgement by the HMPO to dispatch date, it took them 5 working days. No issues at all. They didn't fold my naturalisation certificate, just like I asked.

Ffmuni
Germany

Post by Ffmuni » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks for that information IcikePicike. I shall, as you suggest, provide the information I can and see what happens.
Also thanks for the tip re the Certificate I shall certainly do that and send everything in a large stiff envelope....and hope for the best. After the trials and tribulations of getting Citizenship this issue seems rather trifling, but I am just trying to make sure that I do not have to mess around too much.

Mansi25
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mansi25 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm

An additional question on the same topic as the guidance is not clear on this -

Do I need to provide my/parents birth certificate for my first the passport application if I have been naturalised through residency?

Would greatly appreciate a prompt response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Mansi25 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm
An additional question on the same topic as the guidance is not clear on this -

Do I need to provide my/parents birth certificate for my first the passport application if I have been naturalised through residency?

Would greatly appreciate a prompt response.
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Mansi25
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mansi25 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks a lot! I love this forum!

Mansi25
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mansi25 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Sorry I have one more question regarding countersignature on the passport application form. I'm getting a director of a private limited company registered under UK Company Act sign the form. I know the guidance says "director/chairman of a Ltd company". I am assuming this includes a private limited company?

Understand this may not be the most relevant forum to ask a question like this but would appreciate if you have a view on this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Mansi25 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:05 pm
Sorry I have one more question regarding countersignature on the passport application form. I'm getting a director of a private limited company registered under UK Company Act sign the form. I know the guidance says "director/chairman of a Ltd company". I am assuming this includes a private limited company?

Understand this may not be the most relevant forum to ask a question like this but would appreciate if you have a view on this.
Kindly start your own topic or continue in one you already have with your questions instead of tagging onto another members thread.

See also point 12 in the forum rules FAQs (click to read)
Char (CR001 not Casa)