ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Passport for Canadian Children

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mccann1984
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK Passport for Canadian Children

Post by mccann1984 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi,

I am a UK citizen (born in N.Ireland). I moved to Canada 7 years ago with my wife and had 3 sons there. We are now in the process of wanting to move back to the UK.

I have a few questions that I just need confirmed and some guidance please:

1) As I am a UK citizen that was born in the UK, my 3 boys are entitled to UK citizenship, correct?

2) How do I apply for their UK passports while still living in Canada?

3) What is the best advice for bringing my American wife into the country - should we arrive there first and then try to sort out visas etc or what type of visa should we apply for before we move over?

4) Maybe not the right place to post, but, I am also an Irish Citizen - does anybody know if it would be better to apply through the Irish system (they don't have income requirements) and then just live in N.Ireland? I don't know how Brexit is going to effect how Irish citizens can live and work in N.Ireland....

Thanks

McCann1984

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: UK Passport for Canadian Children

Post by physicskate » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm

mccann1984 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:06 pm
Hi,

I am a UK citizen (born in N.Ireland). I moved to Canada 7 years ago with my wife and had 3 sons there. We are now in the process of wanting to move back to the UK.

I have a few questions that I just need confirmed and some guidance please:

1) As I am a UK citizen that was born in the UK, my 3 boys are entitled to UK citizenship, correct?

2) How do I apply for their UK passports while still living in Canada?

3) What is the best advice for bringing my American wife into the country - should we arrive there first and then try to sort out visas etc or what type of visa should we apply for before we move over?

4) Maybe not the right place to post, but, I am also an Irish Citizen - does anybody know if it would be better to apply through the Irish system (they don't have income requirements) and then just live in N.Ireland? I don't know how Brexit is going to effect how Irish citizens can live and work in N.Ireland....

Thanks

McCann1984
1.) Your children are citizens by decent. Simply apply for their first UK passports.

2.) 3 seconds of google took me to this website:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

3.) Your wife CANNOT apply for a UK visa from within the UK. She MUST apply for entry clearance from a country where she has legal residence (Canada or the US? providing she has a visa to live in Canada). This site can be a bit confusing at times, so come back with more questions. She cannot 'extend' her visa because one is not allowed to apply for any visa within the UK while on a visitor visa (the stamp in her passport from the airport is a visitor visa).
Info: https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Info on the financial requirements that you will need to meet. Your wife is the applicant and you are the sponsor: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _Final.pdf

4.) Your wife cannot live in Northern Ireland while holding a visa to live in the Republic of Ireland. As you are aware, Northern Ireland is part of the UK and ROI is not...