ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification of Directive 2004/38/EC

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kenc
United Kingdom

Clarification of Directive 2004/38/EC

Post by kenc » Thu May 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi
This is my first post after being inactive for some time. Inactive because with the help of this forum all questions were answered. Now I have a new question which hopefully someone will be able to clarify for me.

The boring background first.
I am British, married to an Indonesian (in UK) 3 years ago. At that time my wife was in possession of an ILE valid for 2 years which of course has now expired.
During that 2 year period we left UK and came to live in Cyprus where we now both have Residence Permits.
The last time we left Cyprus to visit family in UK my wife had a Family Visit Visa which of course is only valid for 6 months (Multi Entry).

Now that has expired leading me at last to my question and the purpose of this post. My understanding of EU Directive 2004/38/EC is that it states "Possession of the valid residence card issued by any member state exempts the family members from the visa requirements in all member states". So, since my wife has a residence permit for Cyprus (a Member State) does she need a visa to visit UK?

Long winded, so thanks to those that take the time and effort to read this post.

Thanks
Ken

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 08, 2008 2:45 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kenc
United Kingdom

Post by kenc » Thu May 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks for that Vinny. I have just viewed the latest VAF5 on-line and it is more comprehensive than ever - some 18 pages.
The EU directive states that family members cannot be asked to provide proof of accommodation, means of subsistence etc. All that is required is a passport and a document establishing family ties.

18 pages? The only question omitted is what is my waist measurement!!

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Ken