ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

AM I A BRITISH CITIZEN OR DO I HAVE TO NATURALISE!!! HELP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alhameeedu
Newly Registered

AM I A BRITISH CITIZEN OR DO I HAVE TO NATURALISE!!! HELP

Post by alhameeedu » Thu May 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I CAME TO THE UK AS A COMMONWEALTH CITIZEN in 1973 with indefinate leave to enter to join my parents both commonwealth citizens at the time. i have lived here ever since and NEVER been out of the uk as i lodt my past port around 1975 and never aquired one since due to incompetent indian consular but lets not go into that. under the 1981 one act did i qulify for british citizenship? i think i did but was there a time limit on how long after 1983 i had to register or was there or is there anything i need to do? or is it a question of being too late and do i now have to applt for registration ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 08, 2008 5:22 pm

One for JAJ I think, he'll be along in a minute!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu May 08, 2008 10:48 pm

There was a time limit to apply for registration, expired on 31 December 1987.

If you want to become a British citizen now, you must be naturalised.

Have you got evidence of your ILR?

alhameeedu
Newly Registered

Post by alhameeedu » Fri May 09, 2008 2:14 pm

sorry i replied to your pm yes i indefinate leave to enter was confirmed by the home office last year proving i hadnt been out of the country for more than 2 yrs id be glad to get out for 2days if i could have
p.s. what would my staus in terms of right of abode have been as at 1/1/83 and would i still have that status or would i lose that is well if i didnt do anything about.

your reply would be appreciated JAJ

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 10, 2008 3:00 am

alhameeedu wrote:sorry i replied to your pm yes i indefinate leave to enter was confirmed by the home office last year proving i hadnt been out of the country for more than 2 yrs id be glad to get out for 2days if i could have
p.s. what would my staus in terms of right of abode have been as at 1/1/83 and would i still have that status or would i lose that is well if i didnt do anything about.
You have Indefinite Leave to Remain, based on what you say. I see no basis to suggest that you have, or have ever had, Right of Abode.

alhameeedu
Newly Registered

Post by alhameeedu » Sat May 10, 2008 3:08 am

thx jaj all this immigration stuff is confusing and baffling all i know is i have indefinatele leave to remain guess its time to try and figure out how to try and get photo id next as the incompetent chimps at the indian consulate wont accept my application form even sating i should apply for a british passport - easily said than done without photo id have paper licence cant get it changed for photo id one without a passport catch 22 or what !!!! any one helpppppppppppppppppp!!! im going out of my mind !!!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Why on earth did you not become a British citizen long ago????

Anyway, now you have a big problem and you need to apply for a Home Office travel document:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... eoftravel/

They will expect to see a letter from the Indian High Commission refusing you an Indian passport.

If the Indians refuse to respond in any way, then you need to contact your Member of Parliament for assistance.

alhameeedu
Newly Registered

Post by alhameeedu » Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 pm

basically mate becos i was young and stupid!! and i wasnt even aware of this till i recently went to CAB! anyway thanks for the advice you been a great help many thx